2019 Mallard 32 DC Power Out While Connected to Shore Power

eboyd

The trailer is connected to shore power, but none of the DC connected systems are receiving power. The AC systems and breakers are all fine. I can't locate the converter, internal batteries or bus bar to troubleshoot. Heartland doesn't publish model specific diagrams for their owners for some reason?

I'm not the owner, a just inherited the caretaker duties...The trailer is used for emergency response purposes and is needed over this weekend. Mobile repair shops can't help in time, so any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Roller4tan

Look for a row of dc breakers near the battery, one of those breakers is a manual reset with a small button on the side that pushes in to reset.

Bogie

I don't have this trailer, but looked at some videos of the layout on line.

First the batteries. They would be on the tongue of the trailer in the battery box. You could measure for 12 Volts there.

Next check any and all GFCI plugs to insure none of them are tipped.

After that I would start at the breaker box which looks to be below the cabinet opposite the toilet. Make sure none of the breakers are tripped or off. The trailer may have have a converter built into the breaker/fuise box like THIS one on Amazon. If not built in, it's a separate unit which will have it's own built in fuses. It may be in the space behind the breaker/fuse box. So, you will probably have to remove something to look behind. The one I saw had a central vac. above the breaker/fuse box. If yours has that it might be the easiest to thing to remove to look behind.

If you don't find it there, you should see a (probably) red battery sized cable connected to the DC side of the breaker/fuse box. Try to determine where that wire is routed to. If you still haven't found it, start looking for places where there is space but no direct access. It may be hidden somewhere like that. You may find the buss bar in the same location. There is also likely to be a reset button on one of the bus bar fuses.

Maybe someone who has this unit will chime in soon with more knowledge.

Good Luck.

david-steph2018

As mentioned about the breakers close to the batteries. These are the little red color boot covered auto breakers. Some of these are auto reset and some are manual reset breakers. You cannot see if any are tripped, you have to feel with your fingers. If one is tripped, you will feel the reset button stuck up, a little, not much.
Also check and make sure the batteries are good.

Bronna

The trailer is connected to shore power, but none of the DC connected systems are receiving power. The AC systems and breakers are all fine. I can't locate the converter, internal batteries or bus bar to troubleshoot. Heartland doesn't publish model specific diagrams for their owners for some reason?

I'm not the owner, a just inherited the caretaker duties...The trailer is used for emergency response purposes and is needed over this weekend. Mobile repair shops can't help in time, so any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated!
I wonder if this model has the battery disconnect switch installed? It's a rotating, red switch located on the frame near the batteries. You rotate it to disconnect usually for winter storage. Our Mallard has one installed but it is a newer model. Don't know what year that Heartland started installing the disconnect switch

eboyd

I don't have this trailer, but looked at some videos of the layout on line.

First the batteries. They would be on the tongue of the trailer in the battery box. You could measure for 12 Volts there.

Next check any and all GFCI plugs to insure none of them are tipped.

After that I would start at the breaker box which looks to be below the cabinet opposite the toilet. Make sure none of the breakers are tripped or off. The trailer may have have a converter built into the breaker/fuise box like THIS one on Amazon. If not built in, it's a separate unit which will have it's own built in fuses. It may be in the space behind the breaker/fuse box. So, you will probably have to remove something to look behind. The one I saw had a central vac. above the breaker/fuse box. If yours has that it might be the easiest to thing to remove to look behind.

If you don't find it there, you should see a (probably) red battery sized cable connected to the DC side of the breaker/fuse box. Try to determine where that wire is routed to. If you still haven't found it, start looking for places where there is space but no direct access. It may be hidden somewhere like that. You may find the buss bar in the same location. There is also likely to be a reset button on one of the bus bar fuses.

Maybe someone who has this unit will chime in soon with more knowledge.

Good Luck.
Thank you for the help! I found the buss bar in the pass-through storage area behind an unmarked panel. The converter was behind the fuse box as you said. The buss bar reset didn't fix the issue and the converter didn't have a reset. I will try swapping out the 20A converter breaker and if that doesn't work, I'll try swapping the converter.

eboyd

As mentioned about the breakers close to the batteries. These are the little red color boot covered auto breakers. Some of these are auto reset and some are manual reset breakers. You cannot see if any are tripped, you have to feel with your fingers. If one is tripped, you will feel the reset button stuck up, a little, not much.
Also check and make sure the batteries are good.
found them, thank you! Didn't work, but that's one step checked!

eboyd

I wonder if this model has the battery disconnect switch installed? It's a rotating, red switch located on the frame near the batteries. You rotate it to disconnect usually for winter storage. Our Mallard has one installed but it is a newer model. Don't know what year that Heartland started installing the disconnect switch
Thanks, no battery disconnect on this model. I'm going to swap out the 20A breaker for the converter and then the converter if that doesn't work.

centerline

I dont know what power distribution panel you have, but a couple models of power panels have (2) 40 amp spade fuses above and to the left of the 12v fuse strip, almost behind the facia panel for the AC breakers..... you nearly need to get down on the floor to look in and see them.... if they blow, you wont have any DC power getting to the fuse panel, or any DC circuit that comes from the panel ....

Bogie

Thank you for the help! I found the buss bar in the pass-through storage area behind an unmarked panel. The converter was behind the fuse box as you said. The buss bar reset didn't fix the issue and the converter didn't have a reset. I will try swapping out the 20A converter breaker and if that doesn't work, I'll try swapping the converter.
Take a good look at the converter. Most have their own fuses on the side. Also make the sure it's fully plugged into the receptacle. Mine vibrated loose once causing similar symptoms.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the DC voltage at the battery? It should have 12.6 DC volts fully charged.
If you don't see that then your converter should be trying to charge. When you are plugged in to shore power and your converter is charging you should see 13.7 DC volts.
Does any of this hold true for your rig?

Peace
Dave