3010re

Roller4tan

Hi, new to forum. Researching Heartland, looking to buy a Big Horn 3010RE.... maybe. Saw one at an RV show in Phoenix and DW really liked it, as did I. We'll wait til spring and look in our home state of Michigan, if we decide to purchase. We have a GMC 3500 SRW Duramax to tow it with.

danemayer

Hi Roller4tan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of people who greatly enjoy their 3010RE's.

Roller4tan

Thanks Danemayer,
Seems like a nice rig, looking forward to getting into one again and going over all the features.

pegmikef

We like ours with a minor exception. The dining area is really small and somewhat cramped for even two people so we just pushed the table to the corner and use it as a work/snack area. Overall we think it is great, a nice floor plan, plenty of storage and everything works as advertised. Unless you really need it I strongly recommend you order it with a queen size bed IPO king size. It really makes the bedroom more spacious. I ordered the folding dining chairs and wish I hadn't. They are taking up space in my garage. Dependent on where you camp, I would order the bedroom A/C. On the new models they are integrated into the A/C duct system instead of just dumping. Other options I ordered and would not do without are upgraded (6k to 7k) axles, upgraded tires to G614s, six-point level-up system, and slider-topper awnings. All these options are cheaper when added at the factory and the MSRP of each option is negotiable as is the main MRSP. My dealer gave me a really good price.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I know of 3 friends that just purchased the 3010RE in the last year. All love them.

Good luck!!

stevenssr

I don't have the Big Horn 3010RE, but I do have the Big Country 3070RE. The Big Horn 3010RE essentially seems to be an upgraded Big Country 3070RE. However, I do love the Big Horn 3010RE, I just couldn't justify the added expense for my use. If I were full-timing, I'd definitely go the Big Horn route. I agree with everything Mike said as far as advice. I love this floor plan. You can access the refrigerator with the slides in, it has great 3 way views in the living area, utilizes space effectively, and is a good length for a fifth wheel. If you decide to buy it, I hope you like it as much as I do mine.

Last edited:

Harry1

Just ordered one last week at the Tampa RV show. Great floorplan! We've been looking for awhile at upgrading from our Crossroad Cruiser and settled on the BH3010RE. Order with most options including upgraded 7000lb axles and G rated Goodyears. Did not order front AC, outside Entertainment, MorRyde, or dual panes because of the cost/weight. I had the opportunity to speak with the Heartland rep for about an hour at the show and that helped a lot. Got a great price as I had internet pricing form 2 other sources and the dealer in Florida matched. If your in Michigan as I am from there too be sure to check with Lakeside RVCenter in Muskegon. You'll get a great price from them. I will be pulling with a 2005 3/4 Chev HD Duramax and just put on Firestone Air Bags yesterday. Did not want to go much bigger than the 3010 because of weight. Can't wait to get mine. Good Luck with your decision

Gizzy

As you can see from the signature we have a BH 3070RL and love it. If you will do much traveling at all you will love the Level Up. The only drawback that I have found is that it seem to be pretty heavy on the pin weight after you get it loaded. We had ours weighed at both the 2011 and 2013 Goshen rally and BOTH times we were over on the pin weight. It seems that since there is basically no storage in the rear of the coach to help balance things out that the front is pretty heavy. Maybe they have moved the axles a little more forward on the newer models, I don't know, but I do recommend getting it weighed (properly) after you have it loaded the way you travel and see how it does. We have been trying to reduce our load by removing lots of "nice to have" items and sticking to needed ones. We were REALLY surprised when we had it weighed.

Garypowell

Lots of good advice above just want to add my $.02. We love the floor plan. It does run heavy. We have dish washer and washer/dryer combo and are right at 14,000 pounds anytime we weigh.

happykraut

We love our 2014 3010RE BH. We purchased it at Lakeshore RV in Muskegon. I did find it for a little less in Knoxville at RV's For Less. We opted for the 2nd A/C, thermopane windows. 6pt levelup, slide toppers, queen bed and installed my own MCD shades which were not available at the time. Good luck.

Dufferboy

Floor plan is great, but it runs heavy with washer and dryer in front. Trailer is running at 14, 000 with a pin weight of 3200 to 3300.

Harry1

Gizzy, with the BH3070RL having a dry pin weight of 2300 lbs, are you towing with a 3/4 SRW Duramax? If so how does it handle? Looking at towing with a 2005HD SRW Chev Duramax and wondering if it' too much?

Mrsfish

We love our 2014 3010RE BH. We purchased it at Lakeshore RV in Muskegon. I did find it for a little less in Knoxville at RV's For Less. We opted for the 2nd A/C, thermopane windows. 6pt levelup, slide toppers, queen bed and installed my own MCD shades which were not available at the time. Good luck.

Happykraut- how difficult was it to install the MCD shades? And which windows did you do?

Roller4tan

Well we pulled the trigger on a 2014 Bighorn 3010re. Getting it from National RV Detroit in Belleville, Mi. We pick it up Friday if the PDI goes good. After reloading it we'll head out for a maiden voyage. Came with 6 point levelling, king bed. Trailer was delivered in Oct of 2013, so we got a good deal, I think.

danemayer

Well we pulled the trigger on a 2014 Bighorn 3010re. Getting it from National RV Detroit in Belleville, Mi. We pick it up Friday if the PDI goes good. After reloading it we'll head out for a maiden voyage. Came with 6 point levelling, king bed. Trailer was delivered in Oct of 2013, so we got a good deal, I think.

Hi Roller4tan,

Congratulations on your new Bighorn. Do a thorough PDI and if possible have someone video the walkthrough so you can review the information once or twice.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Since it's been sitting for over a year check the calking carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

I'm wore out. Spent a lot of time going over the Bighorn before signing any papers. Surprisingly the only issue I caught was the door handle for the shower door laying in the shower. Hooked it all up to leave, did a pull test and then a walk around and the street side front tire was low (like at 30 psi). Don't know why they missed that in the prep. Not too pleased with the salesman or tech. Hope it's not an omen of things to come. Got it home and swapped out pin box for my 5th airborne. It rode good without it, so this should be icing on the cake. Still lots to do before the maiden voyage, add my progressive power protector, reload the goodies (satellite dish and receivers) and not so goodies (sewer hoses, etc).
Here's hoping for a pleasant experience.

stevenssr

I'm wore out. Spent a lot of time going over the Bighorn before signing any papers. Surprisingly the only issue I caught was the door handle for the shower door laying in the shower. Hooked it all up to leave, did a pull test and then a walk around and the street side front tire was low (like at 30 psi). Don't know why they missed that in the prep. Not too pleased with the salesman or tech. Hope it's not an omen of things to come. Got it home and swapped out pin box for my 5th airborne. It rode good without it, so this should be icing on the cake. Still lots to do before the maiden voyage, add my progressive power protector, reload the goodies (satellite dish and receivers) and not so goodies (sewer hoses, etc).
Here's hoping for a pleasant experience.

Yeah, it's a lot of work getting a new trailer the way you want it. Congratulations on your new toy and happy camping!

brianlajoie

We recently picked up our 3010RE. Found it on the net. I had a 7 page PDI that I thought covered everything, but I missed one thing I thought I would share. Make sure to double check the hydraulic fluid reservoir. I had a problem with one of my level up legs not retracting. A call to Lippert helped me find the problem. The fluid level was too low and I think air may have seeped into the system. After adding 2 quarts, I was able to get the let to retract. I had a problem at the dealer with the TV arm clipping the fiber optic cable when raising the TV. Luckily that was the only big problem we have seen so far. Good luck with your trailer. I know you will love it.