3950 electrical question 50 to 15?

OtterMN

I would like to run our refrigerator off of an external Honda 2000W generator. If I understand correctly, the connection on the coach is 50A that allows two shore power circuits to provide 50A worth of service to run everything... is there an adapter available that will allow me to supply half of the circuits (including the fridge) from my Honda gen? (or from a regular 15 amp outlet)... thanks!

priorguy

Lots of options out there sometimes called dog-bones. Just limit your loads when running low current. Maybe just the fridge and lights, wouldn't recommend adding A/C tot the mix or it will probably trip. You can bank two Honda 2000s together for enough power.

Wrenched

Why don't you just hook up your Jenny to the coach and carefully monitor your energy use?
You could shut off breakers to things you didn't want powered if you're worried about them.
We regularly camp in 15 amp areas and survive fine this way.
Alternately, you could run a cord from your gen to the fridge outside. The fridge has a regular plug that plugs into a standard receptacle behind the plastic venting.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You will be looking for something like this.
e3dcc4ba-217e-4bf5-946a-863bb6b70c7e_65.jpg

Available at Home Depot for under $10.

Peace
Dave

123camper

I bought an adapter from camping world that is about 1 ft long. 1 end plugs directly into the 50 supply on the back of the 5er and the other end has a 15 amp plug on the other end. I just run a 15 amp extension cord out to the camper when we are loading up. No messing with the heavy 50 amp cord. When using this adapter I have lights, the battery charges, the frig works, the tv's work and I have heat. I know I loose the kitchen outlets and the outside outlets. I have never tried the fireplace or the air. Don't remember what I paid for it.

danemayer

You'll want an adapter to step the 50 amp connector down to 30 amp and another to step the 30 down to 15. Most RV dealers carry these adapters.

Both sides of the circuitry will be powered. Keep in mind that the Power Converter can draw up to around 8 amps in the background, so you'll be able to run the refrigerator and 12V lights, etc, but not much else.

jimtoo

Alternately, you could run a cord from your gen to the fridge outside. The fridge has a regular plug that plugs into a standard receptacle behind the plastic venting.

I think even though there is a reg plug in the rear of the fridge for 120v,, you still need 12v for the fridge to operate. I think I am correct here that the control board for the fridge is 12v, so that when you do not have 120v service the fridge will operate on propane.

I would just get the necessary adapters like Dan suggested.

Jim M

2TrakR

They make a 50A RV twist to 15A male. Here's the one I have from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZJD5S

You can then run a regular extension cord to the Honda (#12 would be recommended). We use the same setup on our 3950 with a similar Yamaha gen.
Also have the twin cable to put two gens together for 30A service, enough to run one of the AC units). We find that one 2000W unit will run most of the stuff other than AC, water heater and microwave.