5th Airborne on 4100

oscar

The girls in the parks, me at Fort Wilderness (Disney). Got a decent price on a 21K 5th Airborne at a local RV dealer, picked it up, no shipping. Installed it yesterday, hooked up the truck today and fired up the compressor.

Surprise. They recommend 60-80psi….. no movement. 120 max, a little movement. 140psi, somewhere near the level line.

Called them, and after some discussion I mentioned my 5er was a large toy hauler. AHA they said. MAJOR pin weight with empty garage.

End of story is that they recommend 120psi, but I'll have little or no travel. They also stated the air bag is pretty "stout" so I've pumped it up to 140 and suspect it will work.

Scouring the inter webs for a higher rated bag…...

Interesting.

Ladiver

I know the pin weight is high with an empty garage, but I am surprised that would be an issue with the 5th Airborne. I am thinking of exactly the same upgrade on my 3100. Mind saying what you paid for it? Was it pretty easy to install?

scottyb

Oscar, I was also concerned about the white line when I 1st got the 4100. Now after 11K miles, I don't pay attention to the white line any more. I have found my sweet spot to be 90-100 lbs with the Mule in the garage and depending on how much water I have on board. I have ben really pleased with it on two very different trucks, but I like it even better on the F350 with the air bags.

oscar

I know the pin weight is high with an empty garage, but I am surprised that would be an issue with the 5th Airborne. I am thinking of exactly the same upgrade on my 3100. Mind saying what you paid for it? Was it pretty easy to install?

I paid $1150. Best price was CW under 1K, but not available at this time. Yes, easy to install. 15/16" socket, 1/2" drive. 150ft/lbs of torque. 10 Bolts. Easy. The cover needs a little shaving to go back on, and you need to drill new holes for it and the break away switch. The thing weighs 135 lbs, so two people, or as I did, back the truck up tail gate down and use blocks to bring it into position, one end at a time.

oscar

Oscar, I was also concerned about the white line when I 1st got the 4100. Now after 11K miles, I don't pay attention to the white line any more. I have found my sweet spot to be 90-100 lbs with the Mule in the garage and depending on how much water I have on board. I have ben really pleased with it on two very different trucks, but I like it even better on the F350 with the air bags.

Roger that. I'll play with it.

oscar

To mod: I believe this issue was Cyclone 4100 specific and moving it into the bowels of this overly confusing and duplicitous forum is not helping. But, it's your show, so carry on.

oscar

OK, so I went to the scales and discovered that the pin weight is about 3600, and that's without a load of vacation stuff in there. Figure 2000 pounds of stuff would add 300 to that, 400 tops, so it would be right at 4000, well within the range specified.

I've been doing a LOT of research on the bags. The one it came with is a Continental FS-70. You can go here:

http://www.koni-enidine-rail.com/PDF/Aisprings-Extended.pdf

and read all about these bags. The FS70 at 100 PSI and about 2-3 inches of inflation puts out about 1750 pounds of force. Yes, there is leverage in the design but it does not appear enough.

The max width on this bag is 6.5" However we have 9" to work with so there is room for a bigger bag. I have found a Firestone bag, model 110 that would appear to fit and has the same fittings.

http://www.firestoneip.com/site-resources/fsip/literature/pdf/EMDG.pdf

Now, more square inches at same PSI = more resulting force, in fact about 2750 pounds at 100 PSI.

At this point I have Cequent agreeing with me that a bigger bag may be in order. I suggested the 110, and they are evaluating. They said they would figure out what they think I need and send it to me.

We shall see.

Last edited: