AC air flow problem SOLVED

snuffy

You would think that a known long time problem such as this would be corrected at the factory. I wonder if this has been addressed?

SmokeyBare

My View.... it's not exactly a Heartland Company problem as much as it's the A/C company problem.

They know well how these are installed in the RV's. They could just as easy build into their hardware a diverter... one that would push the flow of Cold A/C Air to the side duct work.

Marv

tmcran

Haven't had our RV long enough yet to check A/C- Been at the dealers for leaking problems 2 1/2 weeks of the 3 1/2 weeks we have had it. But when we get to try it out I would like to know if the A/C in the Sundance is like the others?

Bobby A

I just wondering with the new laminate roof that Heartland is bosting about, will this low flow still be an issue ??

jbeletti

The block foam used is engineered and milled where need be. So the ducts are milled or maybe molded into the blocks. Don't see them ever getting crushed.

Will it be better that the rectangular duct work we used to use? I don't know. My guess is yes.

Jim

2010augusta

My View.... it's not exactly a Heartland Company problem as much as it's the A/C company problem.

They know well how these are installed in the RV's. They could just as easy build into their hardware a diverter... one that would push the flow of Cold A/C Air to the side duct work.

Marv

Marv, BINGO. I believe that Dometic supplies the A/C units and if Heartland started modifying the insides of the units it could cause warranty and possibly legal issues. Heartland dose not supply anything on the A/C except the duct work and vent locations, therefore, They cannot "fix" the systems by installing a diverter. If anyone wants to take the concerns and ideas to Dometic go for it, but don't blame heartland for a supplier "design problem."

I just wondering with the new laminate roof that Heartland is bosting about, will this low flow still be an issue ??

I have no comcerns about the flow on our unit. I did seal the plinum up a little bit more with duct tape (but I did not notice any leaks with the factory sticky foam tape). I have not been able to compare my flow to someone with the diverter, but I can feel a draft laying on the bed when the main unit is running. I also have a 2nd unit, so it is not a major concern either way.

The block foam used is engineered and milled where need be. So the ducts are milled or maybe molded into the blocks. Don't see them ever getting crushed.

Will it be better that the rectangular duct work we used to use? I don't know. My guess is yes.

Jim

Jim,

Couple questions/thought on foam ducts:
1. they seem to work great as far a the flow goes.
2. mine seem to all have a residue of laminating adhisive in them, thus causing a buildup of dust and debris in areas. (I don't know if this is isolated or part of the laminating process and cannot be changed)
3. while inspecting for possible tape/blockage problems (from reading other post) I noticed a crack/seam? in the foam in the bedroom area near where the roof changes pitch. Is that a production neccessity ( I think the roofs come from laminating plant flat and get the pitch bends at production line. right?) or do I have a roof stress crack in the foam?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Add me to the Timk club. Just finished installing the diverter. A noticeable difference in airflow.
Also taped up all the seams and joints in the airbox and squirrel cage. One note for everyone who has done this-there is a peice of foam that seperates the intake from the exhaust. At the top you could put 3 fingers through from one side to the other. Not very effecient.
But it is all good now!:D
Thanks Timk

ChopperBill

Marv

Been thinking about this. How do the A/C manufactures know where the RV manufactures place the duct work? My thinking is it would be a simple matter for the the RV manufactures to bend a two bit piece of tin for their particular units.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Wishful thinking. I have given up on just living with the main a/c and plan to buy a bedroom a low profile 13,500 BTU a/c. Now if I could just get Shadowcheck to install it, I would be in seventh heaven. Probably don't have enough margaritas to get the job done.

fhollan

Second A/C

Before all this, I was thinking about a second A/C. But since my unit is stored in a pole barn, a second A/C would prevent me from getting it into the barn. So last year I took the covers from the vents and noticed that part of the cool air was going in between the roof and the ceiling. After sealing those, inside the A/C needed work also. This seemed to help. Last fall I applied Timk's remedy and last week replaced the thermostat with a digital one along with a toggle switch for the higher speed. (The thermostat remedy came from this forum also.) With the temperature here being in the mid eighties and high humidity, it made all the difference in the world. So you might want to check and see where the air is going.

ChopperBill

Re: Second A/C

Ain't it about time to make this a sticky? Looks like only ones that are going to fix this air flow problem are us owners. And its so simple and I guarantee it most of the other manufactures have this problem.

jbeletti

Ain't it about time to make this a sticky?...

Well, since you asked so nicely Bill - sure. :)

Looks like only ones that are going to fix this air flow problem are us owners...

With regard to the improvement gained by installing the Timk tent-in-a-vent mod, I view this as a performance enhancement and not something we can "fix" as part of our installation of the Dometic air conditioner and still stay within their installation guidelines and be warrantied.

Jim

ChopperBill

Well, since you asked so nicely Bill - sure. :)

You be the man!

With regard to the improvement gained by installing the Timk tent-in-a-vent mod, I view this as a performance enhancement and not something we can "fix" as part of our installation of the Dometic air conditioner and still stay within their installation guidelines and be warrantied.

Jim

Happy customers are better than any warranty. But I see your point. Thanks Jim!
p.s. Maybe you could have a piece of tin and roll of tape as an option. ;)

RollingHome

I had a AC air flow problem too. I don't know if this will answer or help because I did not read this entire post (135 relies - Wow !). I just took my new 3670 back for its first doctor visit and handed the dealer a punch list. I explained that the AC air flow would not blow out a match in the BR. This did not sound correct to the tech. He removed the plastic cover on the AC and found a missing baffle. "IF" this tech did not have the experience to know a sheet aluminum baffle about 1-1/2' x 8" was missing I would still have the problem. He took pictures for HL (warranty) got a baffle somewhere and installed it. The difference is night and day. Prior, there was no way my AC/heat pump would cool/heat my unit on a moderately warm/cool day. It is much better now. The baffle separates the supply and return air. Without the baffle the air short cycled just in the AC unit and did not go into the duct very much. If you remove the plastic cover and the out air is mixed with the in air - you are not baffled correctly. A picture sent to your dealer & HL customer service may answer the question from a distance - Just ask them "Is my baffle missing or am I baffled ?"

Signed, I’m baffled, Tom

mierwins

Tom, I second that. A picture would be great. Our front br is about 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the trailer. From the rest of the posts I thought this sounded normal. The bathroom has good flow but two feet down the line in the br it's terrible.

Stinger381

I have the Carrier AC unit , are they experiencing the same problems as the Dometic ? My bedroom is defiinitely warmer than the rest of the camper?