Ac blows cool air never shuts off and won't cool? Help?

Kip365

We bought a 2015 Elkridge Heartland 5th wheel. The air blows cool air if you are right up on it but it never cools the trailer in the afternoon. We have to get out of it because it is so hot. Seems the thermostat is not working either because it never shuts off. any ideals?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kip365 and welcome to this great forum.
If you have only one AC unit and being in the heat of Texas I doubt that one unit will be able to keep you cool.
You might consider adding a second unit in the bedroom if your electric service will support it.
Or consider doing what others have done and that is using a portable AC unit.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

You can tell if the thermostat is working by taking an independent temperature reading at the thermostat location. If you've set the thermostat at 72 and your independent reading never gets below 73, the thermostat is working correctly and the air conditioner will run continuously.

If the afternoon sun shines on the thermostat, it will probably keep going even if the coach does get cool.

MTPockets

Check the Fan setting... It can be set to run continuously or to cycle on & off when room reaches set temp.

TxCowboy

Kip, I agree with the comments above. We're full timing in Rockport. If you're running a single AC, it won't provide enough cooling for your Elkridge. With these large units, two would be the minimum and it could still be a struggle.

A friend of mine bought a Big Country earlier this year and has two ACs. He complained that it wasn't cooling enough. His interior temps during the heat of the afternoon was about 79 degrees.

A Dometic-certified mobile tech checked out the ACs and they are working as they should. He basically told my friend to turn the thermostats down to the lowest setting and let them run. When the temperature reached a comfortable level, only then adjust them to a higher temperature. This advice worked for my friend as his RV is now cool and comfy in the afternoon.

You might also consider installing a third AC. We have three in our Landmark and it is very comfortable in this south Texas heat.

kowAlski631

We keep the shades closed where the sun shines in. It keeps it cooler inside. Not familiar with your set up, but our bedroom is in the front of the trailer with our closets in the nose. We slightly open those doors to let the hot air dissipate and keep them open so it doesn't build up again. Make sure your fan is on auto otherwise it never shuts off.

olcoon

One thing we do that helps, at least for ½ the day it to open the awning so one side of the camper is shaded. Something else you might try is to get some of that aluminum coated bubble wrap stuff & put it on the windows. I'd think that would help even if you've got double paned windows. The first time we camped in our rig in summer heat (it's a 2011 Elk Ridge) the AC couldn't keep up with an about a 110 heat index I understood that we were supposed to keep the thermostat set in the "low" range, it's the OEM thermostat & has a high & low setting. We suffered through the trip, and later found out that it was probably icing up, switched it to the "high" position & for the most part life has been good.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
The bigger our slide outs are and the number of slide outs a unit has there is not much insulation in these slide outs which causes the problem of cooling these big rvs. When the manufactures decide to insult the slide outs more we have to put up with heat.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All good suggestions have been posted. This will be our third Summer fulltiming in Texas, and there's just no way around the afternoon heat and the heat index over 100*.

We have reflectix (the metallic looking bubble wrap sheets) in our west-facing Windows and it helps. Keeping blinds closed, avoiding going in and out or generating heat by cooking, are ways to help keep the cool inside. We highly recommend the 42" Vornado tower fan. Even when it's close to 80 inside, this fan puts out enough volume to circulate the room and keeps a good breeze on your skin to make it feel cooler.

Oh and our Living room AC runs nearly nonstop from about 10am to 8pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

Another reason for double pane windows. We ordered our last BH with dual pane windows and what a difference it made with heat and cold transfer from the outside.
Don