Adjusting drums

Tweitekamp

Guys,

Just a quick refresher please because it has been years since I have adjusted or checked the adjustment of drum brakes. Do I just jack up the wheel and adjust the star wheel so the shoes are just barely dragging? You want to hear just a little scuffing right? Is there a good write-up somewhere?

Trying to get ready for the season......

todd

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You will need to jack up each wheel....not by the axle. You will need a brake "spoon". Remove the rubber plug from the backing plate and turn the star wheel until the brake locks up (turning the tire). Then back off the star wheel until you can feel/hear the brake lining JUST rubbing on the drum. Normally about 7-8 clicks. Repeat this 3 more times. It sounds like you remember how to do it. BTW, I have jacked up each wheel with a floor jack by putting a 2x4 on the spring perch and it has never caused the axle to bent. If you think about it...you are NOT jacking up the whole weight of the trailer. One word of caution....have the trailer hooked to the TV when doing this.

Tweitekamp

Thanks bob! I sorta remember the adjust till the wheel locks up but didn't know you had to do that. I guess that makes sure they are all equal. Thanks though....I'll probably do that this weekend.

JanAndBill

I was going to adjust mine but discovered they were self adjusting. Checked them but they didn't need anything.

Tweitekamp

how do I know if they are self adjusting? Mine is a 2010....built in 2009. Any visual way to tell if they are self adjusting?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
2 ways to find out...pull a brake drum or call HL in the AM, with your VIN# handy and ask if it so equiped....they close early on Friday. BTW, when was the last time you packed the wheel bearings. Dont count on them getting greased properly with the jerk fittings unless you were rotating the wheels while greasing them. Over and out....off to the Utah rally.

danemayer

how do I know if they are self adjusting? Mine is a 2010....built in 2009. Any visual way to tell if they are self adjusting?
On the Landmark, Heartland switched to Dexter self-adjusting brakes/axles in August 2010. We got one of the first.

Tweitekamp

Good info guys....I am going to assume a fat negative on me having the self adjusting brakes. It isn't hard to raise it wheel by wheel and adjust. I will probably grease them at the same time. Good advise on rotating the tire while greasing. I did that with my old boat trailer just to make sure I wasn't putting extra pressure on that seal.

Thanks!

dbbls59

An easy way to remember which way to turn the adjusting star, insert the tool then pull down to spread the adjuster and make the brakes tighter. Just remember, "down and out".

JanAndBill

2 ways to find out...pull a brake drum or call HL in the AM, with your VIN# handy and ask if it so equiped....they close early on Friday. BTW, when was the last time you packed the wheel bearings. Dont count on them getting greased properly with the jerk fittings unless you were rotating the wheels while greasing them. Over and out....off to the Utah rally.

Don't count on Heartland knowing if they are self adjusting, they didn't have a clue, had to call Dexter to find out. Also you can pull the plug, it doesn't have the old style star wheel.

whp4262

Another way you can usually tell if the brakes are self adjusting is if the teeth on the star wheel are close together and it will only turn one direction tightening the brakes. To back it off or loosen the brakes you will have to stick a small screwdriver into the slot and hold the adjuster away from the star wheel to loosen the brakes. If the brakes are not self adjusting there will probably be a spring stretched across the back of the star wheel and you will be able to turn it either direction with just the adjusting tool. The teeth on the star wheel will usually be farther apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk