Air Compressor Recommendations

scottyb

Problem is, those are the hardest pounds to get in there. Only a quality 12V compressor will do the job, a "toy" will take forever, IF it even gets there, no matter what it says on the box. 120V units get there for a lot less $$.

I don't think he is calling a Viair a toy. Maybe a $30 Slime inflator, like I keep in my Mule. No way I would trust it to air up a 110 PSI tire. If you have a generator, a 120V pancake is the best bang for the buck. Plus it runs my nail guns too. If you don't have a generator, then 12V is your only option and quality comes at a price.

oscar

OK, I admit that English is my second language but I do think I have mastered rudimentary writing skills. For the record, and I'll type slowly, The Viair is NOT a toy. I never called it that. It is a spectacularly good 12V compressor that will get the last pounds in there, for a price. Anything cheapo, (ie a toy) will not, no matter what it says on the box. My point was that the cheaper 120V compressors rated to 150psi, WILL get the last pounds in there for a lot less money.

Capt7383

I dont think viair is a toy at all oscar. Why would you say that?
Just messin with ya. An attempt at humor

Birchwood

We travel with a $99 Craftsman that with pressure to 110 psi but if you want a 12 v be willing to pay and hope you have a good battery

dlw930

Interesting timing on this thread. Just found out this evening someone my son-in-law knows has a used ViAir 450 P for sale. I may buy it if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busted2341

That little compressor is impressive. I also run 100 psi in my tires and use that compressor for everything. I was surprised how it can push 110 psi to tires. Stick to the 20 minutes limit on run time and let it cool because believe me, it does get hot!

bobca1

Very helpful thread! After reading this decided to get a viair 450 from Amazon. I need a portable 12v unit that will work for the 110psi trailer tires and also (relatively) quickly fill tires back up on my Wrangler after wheeling out in the sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

nonamer

Just a question I have a mini portable air compressor in my compartment. But as a back up I have a Slime tire inflator. My question is those this things expire?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a question I have a mini portable air compressor in my compartment. But as a back up I have a Slime tire inflator. My question is those this things expire?

Are you talking about a canister that puts gunk in your tire to fill a leak? Do not use them! They create far more headaches than they help for anyone replacing the tire, and I certainly would not trust them on a trailer tire.

If it's just compressed air, I also doubt it will be enough to fill a trailer or truck tire.

Your best bet is to check your tires with a gauge before leaving a campground.

When we have had tire problems on the road, we were usually at a stop when we noticed them. Now we use a tire pressure monitor, and have not had any issues. We have a nice Sears compressor that will easily fill a 110psi tire, but we have 80psi tires. We have an inverter to run it if we need to on the road.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Are you talking about a canister that puts gunk in your tire to fill a leak? Do not use them! They create far more headaches than they help for anyone replacing the tire, and I certainly would not trust them on a trailer tire.

If it's just compressed air, I also doubt it will be enough to fill a trailer or truck tire.

Your best bet is to check your tires with a gauge before leaving a campground.

When we have had tire problems on the road, we were usually at a stop when we noticed them. Now we use a tire pressure monitor, and have not had any issues. We have a nice Sears compressor that will easily fill a 110psi tire, but we have 80psi tires. We have an inverter to run it if we need to on the road.

What inverter do you have?

Birchwood

I can't even get 110 lbs at a service station.They say we don't go that high so go to a commercial truck tire garage for this high pressure.Purchased a $100 Craftsman(120v) that will get the job done but takes time.I would never rely on a 12 volt compressor for 110psi as the wiring is not heavy enough.

danemayer

I would never rely on a 12 volt compressor for 110psi as the wiring is not heavy enough.

I have the Viair 450p 12V compressors with a 100% duty cycle, which very quickly airs tires up to 110 psi, and higher. The Viair comes with clamps to attach to the battery's positive and negative terminals, so truck and trailer wiring don't have to be used. The compressor's wiring has an inline fuse - 40 amp if I recall correctly.

That said, I have an adapter that plugs into the extra 5th wheel power connector on the back bumper of the truck. The compressor runs just fine from that adapter, using the factory truck wiring. If I recall correctly the truck uses a 40 amp fuse on that circuit.

Maybe you're talking about $20 12V compressors from discount stores.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What inverter do you have?

Here is ours, we put it in in the front compartment. Basically only for running the compressor or other power tools when no electricity is present. It was not integrated into the rig to run anything in it.

a3444d7575adbb7780fe6c602474347e.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aims-Powe...479996218745110030301008005&affjs=1&affwt=top

GregP

Dan, I was curious as to which fifth wheel power converter you use on the rear of your truck. I have the Viair 450P also.

danemayer

Dan, I was curious as to which fifth wheel power converter you use on the rear of your truck. I have the Viair 450P also.

The plug came from a local trailer place. The bolts came from Walmart in the auto section. I think the 12V pin is at the 1 o'clock position and ground at 7 o'clock, but you should check. Link.

Attachments

• 2015-12-12 15.04.12.jpg
    2015-12-12 15.04.12.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2015-12-12 15.04.06.jpg
    2015-12-12 15.04.06.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 52

GregP

Dan, Thanks for the information on your adaptor. I might try something like that instead of hooking up directly to the truck battery. It might be little easier than trying to run an air hose from the front of the truck all the way back to the trailer tires. I just bought the Viair 450P because the portable 120 volt compressor I was carrying was not always available to us for use on the road (no generator or inverter). Haven't had a chance to use the Viair yet, but all reviews seem positive.

danemayer

Dan, Thanks for the information on your adaptor. I might try something like that instead of hooking up directly to the truck battery. It might be little easier than trying to run an air hose from the front of the truck all the way back to the trailer tires. I just bought the Viair 450P because the portable 120 volt compressor I was carrying was not always available to us for use on the road (no generator or inverter). Haven't had a chance to use the Viair yet, but all reviews seem positive.

It's much easier to use than opening the hood and clamping to the battery terminals. And being closer to the wheels helps.

I also used to use a 120 V compressor. Because it was in the truck bed, I had to chain it to the bed. I kept all of the hoses and accessories in a bin along with the compressor. When I needed it, I had to unchain it and lift it out of the bed. When finished I had to lift it again to put it back and re-chain it. I sure don't miss doing all that. The Viair rides on the floor of the back seat. Everything fits in its carrying case.