Air cond. Ductwork

Capt7383

My Big Country 3070 re has two ac units one in bedroom one in living area. The duct work seems to be connected. When the bedroom ac is running you can feel air through the living room vents. Would it be beneficial to separate the duct work by installing dams in the duct work? Let each ac unit take care of its own area?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

mikeandconnie

I have done my rig this way. It really makes a difference in the flow coming out. We stayed all last summer in Florida and our rig stayed confrointable throughout. I also plug at the end of the front vent and back one. I'm not sure what is did but it make a big difference in the flow. Also change out the vent with adjustable ones. My DW like it freezeing inside and I have to say mine does.

danemayer

You might consider the noise level. Once the coach is cooled to the desired temperature, if you're in the living room watching TV, you can adjust the thermostats to make the bedroom unit do most of the work, resulting in a quieter living room. When you go to bed, you can adjust the thermostats so the living room does most of the work, keeping the bedroom quiet.

If you separate the ducts, you may end up with a noisier setup.

rxbristol

You might consider the noise level. Once the coach is cooled to the desired temperature, if you're in the living room watching TV, you can adjust the thermostats to make the bedroom unit do most of the work, resulting in a quieter living room. When you go to bed, you can adjust the thermostats so the living room does most of the work, keeping the bedroom quiet.

X2 what Dan said.

PoppaJR

Our 2007 Bighorn 3670 has one of each type. The bedroom is LOUD (talking about the AC) and I wish the two were ducted together. It's like sleeping under a Cessna during takeoff. Living room is a Carrier ducted and the BR is an Advent.

danemayer

Our 2007 Bighorn 3670 has one of each type. The bedroom is LOUD (talking about the AC) and I wish the two were ducted together. It's like sleeping under a Cessna during takeoff. Living room is a Carrier ducted and the BR is an Advent.

Don't you have ducts in the bedroom coming from the living room A/C?

Garypowell

I have dammed up to separate the two A/C systems with swimming noodle pieces cut to fit. In places where really hot the separation let's the units work less which cuts down on the noise overall.

But in the spring I take the piece out and many times let the bedroom unit cool the whole rig.

I have mine set up so the bathroom is cooled with the bedroom a/c.

And adjustable dampers in the bedroom to help control the flow when ducts are open.

I have dammed up to separate the two A/C systems with swimming noodle pieces cut to fit. In places where really hot the separation let's the units work less which cuts down on the noise overall.

But in the spring I take the piece out and many times let the bedroom unit cool the whole rig.

I have mine set up so the bathroom is cooled with the bedroom a/c.

And adjustable dampers in the bedroom to help control the flow when ducts are open.

We have a Big Country 3650RL 2016, which wouldn't keep the living area comfortable due to air flow problems(no air coming out of the center vent). Since we take it to the Texas coast for the summer, this is a big problem. After having local RV repair service diagnose the situation and doing some of my own investigation, the duct work design and construction turned out to be the source of the problem. I approached Heartland with this information and was told that since the temperature differential was within specification, they would do nothing to help solve the problem. I then approached the service manager of my local Explore USA dealership(Russell McKuen) and he dug into the issue. After a couple of days, he got back to with a plan of action and agreed that Explore USA would take care of the problem even if Heartland wouldn't. They made our unit a priority and had it back to us in 8 days. They found and plugged several leaks in the duct work. Also they fabricated a diverter to allow air to flow downward from the middle vent. We will never buy another Heartland product due to the way they treated us, but highly recommend Explore USA. Now I have to begin the battle with Heartland to try to get them to compensate us for our expenses that were incurred to solve the problems with the duct work design and installation.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a Big Country 3650RL 2016, which wouldn't keep the living area comfortable due to air flow problems(no air coming out of the center vent). Since we take it to the Texas coast for the summer, this is a big problem. After having local RV repair service diagnose the situation and doing some of my own investigation, the duct work design and construction turned out to be the source of the problem. I approached Heartland with this information and was told that since the temperature differential was within specification, they would do nothing to help solve the problem. I then approached the service manager of my local Explore USA dealership(Russell McKuen) and he dug into the issue. After a couple of days, he got back to with a plan of action and agreed that Explore USA would take care of the problem even if Heartland wouldn't. They made our unit a priority and had it back to us in 8 days. They found and plugged several leaks in the duct work. Also they fabricated a diverter to allow air to flow downward from the middle vent. We will never buy another Heartland product due to the way they treated us, but highly recommend Explore USA. Now I have to begin the battle with Heartland to try to get them to compensate us for our expenses that were incurred to solve the problems with the duct work design and installation.

Which ExploreUSA did you use? We are in TX with a Big Country 2016 4010RD and although we've made some modifications ourselves, the living room AC still doesn't cool effectively in the living room in temps over 90+, especially in the heat of the day in direct sun. A thermal gun reads temps in the low 50s at the vents, so I know it's not the AC unit.

I'd be curious to see exactly what Explore USA did and how effective it ends up being. Be sure to post before and after measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ExploreUSA did you use? We are in TX with a Big Country 2016 4010RD and although we've made some modifications ourselves, the living room AC still doesn't cool effectively in the living room in temps over 90+, especially in the heat of the day in direct sun. A thermal gun reads temps in the low 50s at the vents, so I know it's not the AC unit.

I'd be curious to see exactly what Explore USA did and how effective it ends up being. Be sure to post before and after measurements.

We bought it in Boerne, but since we live closer to the Seguin store, that's the one we use for service. They filled the dead air space in the rear duct with spray foam, patched some leaks in the duct work(leaking cold air into the walls behind the thermostat and behind the toilet) and constructed a diverter for the middle living room vent so that air would flow out of it. Before there was no air coming out, even though it was blowing a norther in the duct. When we checked the temperature differential at the inlet and outlet point in the living room prior to modification, there was 20 degrees difference, but the we couldn't get the living room below 80 until well after dark. Now, with the trailer sitting at Port Aransas, the temperature in the middle of the afternoon stays in the mid 70's with the thermostat set at 65 and the fan on high. We're satisfied with what Explore did for us, but now we going to start the fight with Heartland to try to get reimbursement for the expenses we incurred to solve their design and construction issues. As I said the original post, we'll never buy another Heartland. Will update on our progress.

TravelTiger

We bought it in Boerne, but since we live closer to the Seguin store, that's the one we use for service. They filled the dead air space in the rear duct with spray foam, patched some leaks in the duct work(leaking cold air into the walls behind the thermostat and behind the toilet) and constructed a diverter for the middle living room vent so that air would flow out of it. Before there was no air coming out, even though it was blowing a norther in the duct. When we checked the temperature differential at the inlet and outlet point in the living room prior to modification, there was 20 degrees difference, but the we couldn't get the living room below 80 until well after dark. Now, with the trailer sitting at Port Aransas, the temperature in the middle of the afternoon stays in the mid 70's with the thermostat set at 65 and the fan on high. We're satisfied with what Explore did for us, but now we going to start the fight with Heartland to try to get reimbursement for the expenses we incurred to solve their design and construction issues. As I said the original post, we'll never buy another Heartland. Will update on our progress.

I am sorry this experience has made you bitter against the brand. We had similar issues, but I worked to make adjustments myself. (Closed off ends of ducts with metal tape, replaced the vents with lower flanged ones.)

I don't feel like Heartland designed a bad product, they designed an AC system for average temperatures. In Texas and other parts of the southwest, temps are extreme, while in other parts, they probably barely use their AC in the summer.

I had the techs at the Heartland National Rally check my plenum boxes in both ACs, and they retaped them to make sure they were sealed and intake and output were separated correctly. They did that in about 15 minutes, and I think it helped.

I still don't like that the heat of the day (95+ from about 3pm to 5pm) my AC doesn't keep the rig as cool as I would like (about 77-78), but I chalk that up mostly to heat transfer through the numerous windows.

I hope you can move past this and enjoy your rig! We'd love to have you come to a rally! In fact there's one in Port Aransas coming up in October.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-Rally-TX-Port-Aransas-10-6-2017-to-10-8-2017

I am sorry this experience has made you bitter against the brand. We had similar issues, but I worked to make adjustments myself. (Closed off ends of ducts with metal tape, replaced the vents with lower flanged ones.)

I don't feel like Heartland designed a bad product, they designed an AC system for average temperatures. In Texas and other parts of the southwest, temps are extreme, while in other parts, they probably barely use their AC in the summer.

I had the techs at the Heartland National Rally check my plenum boxes in both ACs, and they retaped them to make sure they were sealed and intake and output were separated correctly. They did that in about 15 minutes, and I think it helped.

I still don't like that the heat of the day (95+ from about 3pm to 5pm) my AC doesn't keep the rig as cool as I would like (about 77-78), but I chalk that up mostly to heat transfer through the numerous windows.

I hope you can move past this and enjoy your rig! We'd love to have you come to a rally! In fact there's one in Port Aransas coming up in October.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-Rally-TX-Port-Aransas-10-6-2017-to-10-8-2017
om my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I said, overall we really like the RV, but the response we got from Heartland Corporate has totally soured us on them. As far as the design goes, I disagree with you and our dealer agreed with us. They feel that Heartland need to issue a recall for this issue. Coincidently, there was another Big Country brought in with the exact same problem while ours was in the shop.
Thanks for the invite to rally, but we've already got other plans.

TravelTiger

Like I said, overall we really like the RV, but the response we got from Heartland Corporate has totally soured us on them. As far as the design goes, I disagree with you and our dealer agreed with us. They feel that Heartland need to issue a recall for this issue. Coincidently, there was another Big Country brought in with the exact same problem while ours was in the shop.
Thanks for the invite to rally, but we've already got other plans.

Sorry you can't make that Rally! But there are others in Texas, Louisiana and other surrounding states, so please look into attending. You won't regret meeting other owners, and sharing some fellowship. :)

Just for clarification again... did you talk to Heartland directly, or is this what your dealer was saying to you about Heartland? Many times, the result is different when the owner talks to Heartland directly in the course of warranty repair... especially if it's done in a calm and respectful manner.

Many have found that the dealer is telling them one thing, and Heartland is saying another. Heartland will authorize repairs, but sometimes Dealers don't like the compensation for such repairs, so they tell the customer "Heartland won't do that."

As far as a recall, recalls are for safety hazards. I don't think this qualifies. ;)

My personal experience with my dealer, ExploreUSA in Dallas, has been that they talked a good talk, but actions rarely lived up to it. We ended up dealing exclusively with Heartland directly for any warranty work, and they have taken care of us for any issues that were necessary. Even sending an employee to drive parts to us personally, driving from Elkhart to Goshen after work, while we were at the rally.

Sorry you can't make that Rally! But there are others in Texas, Louisiana and other surrounding states, so please look into attending. You won't regret meeting other owners, and sharing some fellowship. :)

Just for clarification again... did you talk to Heartland directly, or is this what your dealer was saying to you about Heartland? Many times, the result is different when the owner talks to Heartland directly in the course of warranty repair... especially if it's done in a calm and respectful manner.

Many have found that the dealer is telling them one thing, and Heartland is saying another. Heartland will authorize repairs, but sometimes Dealers don't like the compensation for such repairs, so they tell the customer "Heartland won't do that."

As far as a recall, recalls are for safety hazards. I don't think this qualifies. ;)

My personal experience with my dealer, ExploreUSA in Dallas, has been that they talked a good talk, but actions rarely lived up to it. We ended up dealing exclusively with Heartland directly for any warranty work, and they have taken care of us for any issues that were necessary. Even sending an employee to drive parts to us personally, driving from Elkhart to Goshen after work, while we were at the rally.

Yes, I talked to a fellow at Heartland with the last name of Wiggent, who was absolutely no help. That is why I turned to the dealer, who solved our problem in a very expeditious manner. Also, the repair service I deal with at Port Aransas said he won't even do warranty work on Heartlands because their corporate office is so hard to deal with.

On another subject, how many warranty issues have you had? We haven't had ours for a year yet and we've had 6 separate issues, which seems excessive. On our Zinger, we only had one minor warranty issue.

Sorry your dealer doesn't have as high a standards as the Seguin dealership.

TravelTiger

Yes, I talked to a fellow at Heartland with the last name of Wiggent, who was absolutely no help. That is why I turned to the dealer, who solved our problem in a very expeditious manner. Also, the repair service I deal with at Port Aransas said he won't even do warranty work on Heartlands because their corporate office is so hard to deal with.

On another subject, how many warranty issues have you had? We haven't had ours for a year yet and we've had 6 separate issues, which seems excessive. On our Zinger, we only had one minor warranty issue.

Sorry your dealer doesn't have as high a standards as the Seguin dealership.

Warranty claims?
Tv went out first week, Heartland sent new direct to me.
Dent in water heater door, saw it after we brought it home from dealer, Heartland sent to me.
Fireplace went out 2 weeks out of warranty, took 3 tries to get one that worked, heartland sent all to me, and a backerboard to use if I decide to change brands if it fails again.
Light fixture glass fell and broke, Heartland sent replacement fixture and glass to me.
Tanks all read full after first trip unused, dealer flushed.
Bath Vent fan motor failed, heartland sent new motor to me
Latch on closet door broke, fixed ourselves
Bedroom Door shifted and would not catch, fixed ourselves
LR Carpet was buckling after first week, dealer stretched/stapled
AC not cooling as efficiently - we made adjustments
Rg6 Cable connections have not been good, we fixed.
Still have some paint overspray on front cap needing to be addressed. Dealer first wanted to replace cap, then changed to they want to buff it. I can't find time to go there.

If there were others, I can't think of them at the moment.

Warranty claims?
Tv went out first week, Heartland sent new direct to me.
Dent in water heater door, saw it after we brought it home from dealer, Heartland sent to me.
Fireplace went out 2 weeks out of warranty, took 3 tries to get one that worked, heartland sent all to me, and a backerboard to use if I decide to change brands if it fails again.
Light fixture glass fell and broke, Heartland sent replacement fixture and glass to me.
Tanks all read full after first trip unused, dealer flushed.
Bath Vent fan motor failed, heartland sent new motor to me
Latch on closet door broke, fixed ourselves
Bedroom Door shifted and would not catch, fixed ourselves
LR Carpet was buckling after first week, dealer stretched/stapled
AC not cooling as efficiently - we made adjustments
Rg6 Cable connections have not been good, we fixed.
Still have some paint overspray on front cap needing to be addressed. Dealer first wanted to replace cap, then changed to they want to buff it. I can't find time to go there.

If there were others, I can't think of them at the moment.

Wow, I don't feel so bad now. All I can say is that you're much more forgiving than I am. After retiring from a lifetime of working in quality control and assurance, it's my opinion that Heartland has a flawed QC/QA process. There is no excuse for that many obvious production errors, which is ashamed because they are structurally very well built. We'll see how they respond to my request for reimbursement for my expenses fixing their ducting issues.

alexb2000

Have you read this forum?

I can't imagine any owner hasn't had some issues. It gets old typing out the long winded answers to the same questions over and over, but YES, they all seem to have a few problems. If it's any consolation my friends that bought a new $1M coach have MANY problems. I guess it goes with the RV territory.

If you want some help many seem ready to share what they have done with similar issues, if you're just wanting to log a complaint, we get it and agree it would be nice if the quality was as good as a Toyota Corolla.

danemayer

Now I have to begin the battle with Heartland to try to get them to compensate us for our expenses that were incurred to solve the problems with the duct work design and installation.

You should start by reading the warranty statement in your trailer manual. Heartland covers under warranty those things demonstrated to be a manufacturing defect. Some things are obviously covered by warranty. Some things are less obvious. If the dealer shows that it's a manufacturing defect, the previous denial will almost certainly be reversed.

It's quite common to ask for more than the warranty provides. Sometimes Heartland makes goodwill accommodations in the interest of keeping a customer satisfied. But I don't know whether they would do so where someone has repeatedly declared they will never buy another Heartland product.

But the key will be whether the dealer can demonstrate that it should be covered by warranty.

Have you read this forum?

I can't imagine any owner hasn't had some issues. It gets old typing out the long winded answers to the same questions over and over, but YES, they all seem to have a few problems. If it's any consolation my friends that bought a new $1M coach have MANY problems. I guess it goes with the RV territory.

If you want some help many seem ready to share what they have done with similar issues, if you're just wanting to log a complaint, we get it and agree it would be nice if the quality was as good as a Toyota Corolla.

I agree that it would be nice if their quality was as good as Toyota's and for what we pay for these RV's it should be. Just relating my experience dealing with Heartland, which has not been up to my expectations. Explore USA on the other hand really stepped to try to help us with Heartland's problem. I have read the forums and did find some helpful hints, which helped me diagnose the problem. Also from reading the forums, it seems we're not the only ones having this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

You should start by reading the warranty statement in your trailer manual. Heartland covers under warranty those things demonstrated to be a manufacturing defect. Some things are obviously covered by warranty. Some things are less obvious. If the dealer shows that it's a manufacturing defect, the previous denial will almost certainly be reversed.

It's quite common to ask for more than the warranty provides. Sometimes Heartland makes goodwill accommodations in the interest of keeping a customer satisfied. But I don't know whether they would do so where someone has repeatedly declared they will never buy another Heartland product.

But the key will be whether the dealer can demonstrate that it should be covered by warranty.

I did read the warranty and my dealer (Explore USA, Seguin, TX) agreed that it should be covered. They were in such agreement that they were willing to cover the repair even if Heartland wouldn't reimburse them. The end result is that we are now comfortable in the living area even when the outside temperature in in the mid 90's.

Nuclearcowboy

We are in the same situation with our unit - air is cold coming from both AC units but there just isn't enough air flow out of the living room/kitchen vents to keep the unit cool enough in the summer heat in that area. I'd be interested in knowing how to increase air flow- I have checked all the ducts and there are no restrictions, just seems like the blowers are not up to the job or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Since both AC units have their supply and return headers cross-tied, what keeps the air from short cycling between the headers when only one unit is running?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell me where you purchased the lower flanged vents?