Another Problem, go figure

jayandhisgals

Water is pouring out from under my kitchen cabinets, outside kitchen is soaked and water is running out from unde the coroplast seems like we have water comming out from everywhere. Don't know what is the problem.Don't think it's the incomming water b/c when using the holding tank w/ pump on the pump dosn't continually run. Can't reach customer service till Monday. Totally fustrated. This is a new rig! Why is HL making all it's customers go thru this kind of stuff???

danemayer

Hi Jay,

Don't think it's the incomming water b/c when using the holding tank w/ pump on the pump dosn't continually run.

For the moment, I would ignore the question of why the pump doesn't run continuously.

You didn't mention any odor associated with the water, so I'm assuming it's fresh water. If you turn off the city water, and leave the pump off, does the flooding stop after a few minutes?

I'm assuming you've already looked under the sink(s) for loose connections that could leak.

If you have an icemaker/water dispenser in your refrigerator, there is a clear 1/4" water line that will flood your coach if used/stored in freezing weather without winterizing the line. If the refrigerator is in a slide out, the exposed portions of this line can break in freezing weather, even if the trailer is heated. I mention this because we had a couple of nights below freezing in N. Texas last week and you may have had the same where you are.

Gaffer

The plastic check valve at the top of the water heater has been known to do that. Turn the valve to bypass if you have a bypass valve and turn the water heater off if this is the cause of your leak. Replace the plastic valve with a brass one first chance you get even if this is not your current problem.

eddylives

Last season I noticed a water leak under our cabinets where the city water comes in and the pump is located.
I traced it to a device inline in the system that has a clear plastic cap on it , the cap had loosened of enough to allow water to drip out and a little tweak sealed it up again.

jayandhisgals

Problem Discovered! Under the kitchen cabinets (which has no easy to access) there is a soft line for the drain that connects to a hard line. The hard line apparently had a crack in it up towards the top since day one but didn't start leaking until the crack had worked it's way down the pipe and nearly split in half near the elbow. Replaced that section of line no more water gushing out everywhere. Also found out that the connections for the drain under the indoor kitchen sink were loose and the gasket between the sink drain and the drain line was leaking. Replaced that gasket, tightened all the fittings. So hooray! I can now use my kitchen sink. No more washing dishes in the shower. LOL. A few other problems were discovered as we had everything torn apart. The outdoor kitchen faucet is faulty and leaking from underneath. Still need to get that replaced. We have some wood delaminating and we will see if the floor dries out and doesn't rot. Got my fingers crossed that we don't end up with any mold issues. Slowly we are getting all the bugs worked out of this rig. Just never expected so many problems with a brand new unit. It's so disappointing. We bought new so we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of stuff. Guess it's an expensive lesson. Sure hope we discover any more problems caused by lack of QC before our warranty runs out. So thankful HL has a good warranty and fantastic customer service. If they weren't there to help resolve all this stuff I totally would have hired a ********(legal speak removed by admin)*******.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you found some loose fittings, it is wise to check those that you can. They do loosen up during travel (bouncing down the road).
I check mine twice per year and do find some that need to be tightened.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

I would still replace that plastic check valve at the top of the water heater before it fails.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Never needed one but I carry 2 with me "just in case" I or a fellow RVer needs one while we are at a CG.

Jim, where are you getting them, I also would like to have one. Right now I have just an elbow in its place.

jbeletti

Amazon.com. Dan Mayer posted links. I can upload the part numbers later too. I used a different part for the gender changer as I wanted one that was Prime applicable :)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Never needed one but I carry 2 with me "just in case" I or a fellow RVer needs one while we are at a CG.

I haven't changed out the check valve or any other water connection on my HWH. Could you give me a link or photo of what they look like. I think I would like to have one available just in case.

I just replace the fresh water inlet check valve and it was more entailed than I first thought. Have to replace the entire mounting plate because the check valve permanently installed. The replacement had a plactic valve in the mounting plate. I use the stainless steel check valve from RV Water Filter Store. Workin great now.

BC

danemayer

Hi Bob,

My post #12 has links to the parts and to the service document that has pictures and procedure to replace it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Great information. Thanks. However I have one more question. The check valve is on the input side?? and there is an output for hot water.. Shouldn't both be changed?? I am assuming it is plastic also...

BC

jbeletti

Great information. Thanks. However I have one more question. The check valve is on the input side?? and there is an output for hot water.. Shouldn't both be changed?? I am assuming it is plastic also...

BC

Output side - top of the rear end of the tank.

danemayer

BC
Bob,

The water heater check valve is on the output - top of the water heater.

danemayer

Hmm, to break the jinx, one of us is probably going to have to give Bobcat a check valve. I guess since his rig is about 50 feet away from ours, it's up to me to find the spare.