Appropriate Tire Changing Tool for 2014 Road Warrior 425

SNOKING

And that's why I use a deep 5 point socket on those lugs...a short one will eventually slip on the aluminum sleeve and round it off...and you don't want anythjng on the threads...the torque value is a DRY torque value...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Strange, as most lug nuts are 6 sided. Are those special anti theft lug nuts.

Chris

IronJ

Ha !! Touche!!...obviously I meant 6...but my truck lugs are splined and security...lol

szewczyk_john

Why, I did not mean to start a war over my comment but I have a bottle of anti-seize from NAPA. It says to use on engine bolts, lug nuts and the list goes on and on. IT then says to tighten to manufacturer's specs. I have used anti seize on lugs and rotor faces for over 2 decades with out any issue. I do my own brakes and tire rotations but we all know that mechanics and tire shops just hit each lug with an air gun and they do not torque them. Many over tighten them. If you have ever ever had a frozen lug nut prevent you from removing a flat tire in the middle of know where at 2 am on a cross country trip, you might understand why I began using this method.

With that being said, I can tell you that I have not had to use my additional leverage on any of my vehicles, but I still do carry it for insurance. I have used it twice to help out other motorist since I began caring it. I also googled this subject and was surprised to see so many posts about this topic. From my very brief research, engineers claim that the use of such products will not cause a nut to become loose. As with many other topics on web-based forums, this will be one of the those that will have those that do use it and those that do not use. I have never been advised not to use and never really gave it another thought until reading these replies. As a DIYer, I have used it for many years and will continue to do so. I will also continue to carry my breaker bar, pipe, 6 point deep-well impact sockets (one for trailer, one for tow vehicle).

MikeR

TRSS238_7_1000.jpg

You can place a saddle under the axle for a safe jack point. It will fit between the u-bolts. Some have welded them to the top of the bottle jack

Where do you buy this saddle?

Gaffer

I bought mine at my selling dealer. You should be able to find one at any trailer store. Get one that fits your axles. I was ab le to take it out to the lot from the parts dept to the new trailer lot to check the fit on an in-stock trailer same model as mine. I think it was under $6.

IronJ

In my experience as an ase certified mechanic, EVERY dealer and/or service center does not use or condone anti seize on lugs....does your vehicle come with it from the factory??..I never saw it...

Now, on a PERSONAL level I don't think lugs would come off because of it, nor do I think MOST would over torque because of it....

BUT in the real World, recommendations are based on what the dumbest idiot in the user group would possibly do...slather up a lug with anti seize like a piece of Texas toast (big fat piece of bread dipped on both sides in butter for those of you non texans) and there lies a potential for torque issues....

My tow beast gets the wheels rotated/swapped regularly, and as such I have never had an issue with lugs over the last 4 trucks