Are slide out toppers good to have or not?

Wolfpackers

I do believe I'd like them on my next RV, and have wondered if there are any downsides (other than $$) to having the toppers a foot or so wider to better prevent rain/debris from getting on top of the slide ?

jnbhobe

I do believe I'd like them on my next RV, and have wondered if there are any downsides (other than $$) to having the toppers a foot or so wider to better prevent rain/debris from getting on top of the slide ?

It all depends on the length of your slideout, Slide awnings are made in a lot of sizes and the hardware that fits different lengths are adjustable only a few inches. So it all depends on the slideout width because the hardware has to bolt to the flange

rick_debbie_gallant

They help reduce the heat loading in the summer and keep the slide tops a bit dryer. Driving rain will of course get under there. We like them and think they are worth the extra money.

I am thinking about adding little over hangs with velcro attachments at the ends to keep the rain out.

brianharrison

How about some recommendations on where to get these toppers and where to have them installed?

Dometic and Carefree of Colorado are brands that are used frequently. I have Dometic on my current rig; and I have installed Carefree on past units. Both are similar in my opinion, there are different price points in both, mostly with additional features as you go up in price - colors, full enclosures etc. However all lines provide same functionality.

On the sites below you can search for dealers/installers of each brand in your area. Hope this helps.

Dometic --> http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/awnings/

Carefree of Colorado -> http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=home

Take care, Brian

brianharrison

How well do slide toppers work with snow. We've had snow in several places we've camped.

The weight of the snow may sag the topper right down to the top of the slide however there is usually extra fabric to allow the topper to "roll" out more and prevent ripping.

Snow usually rolls off the top when the slide is retracted. However if the snow has melted and then re-froze to ice I take a little extra caution when rolling back in - I get the DW to retract the slide and I watch the slide topper to make sure all the snow/ice detaches from the fabric as it rolls back up. As well, I watch to make sure the fabric continues to roll up properly and does not get caught between the trailer and the slide flange.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian