ATF: Bighorn - Creaking and a few thumps on LR slide

SeattleLion

We went off on our first trip this season. I had opened and closed the slides several times in the last few weeks with everything normal. When I closed them just before our trip, the living room slide made a couple of thumping noises, like something slipped. It closed fully.

When we got to our campsite, going out we had the same sounds and again when we pulled it in to go home. Once home, I asked the DW to go outside and listen as I opened the slides. She heard a creaking sound and noticed that the toothed tracks are a bit rusty and appear dry.

Is there an issue in the making here? Should I be lubing anything under the slides?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you should be lubing.
My thoughts are if it moves it needs to be lubed.
There is a special spray lube for slide mechanisms and leaves a dry film that prevent dirt from sticking to it.
Not quite what is recommended, but I use a spray white lithium grease.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Use motorcycle chain lube. Lube everything that is metal and moves/turns under slide the except the slide bottom. Wipe the dirt and grime off the slide ram once in a while.

Westwind

You can use a dry lube, which is used on bike chains, supposedly it doesn't attract dirt and grit. Also check with a heavy equipment garage, they have lubes that prevent attraction of dirt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I had to go to that place everyday and w*rk, I used a lot of CRC 3-36.
It's a good product and I would have no problem using that on the slide mechanism.
Note to self, order some 3-36.

Peace
Dave