ATF: Bighorn - Satellite dish location

RB2012

I have a 2012 3455rl bighorn, I understand that it is wired for a traveler satellite system where on the roof does the dish get mounted there is no decal showing any mounting position is there a reinforcement in a certain location on the roof for the dish to be mounted. Thanks Richard Waltman

jnbhobe

It should be wrapped up by the speaker in the bedroom that is nearest the amplifire. The problem with a dish on the roof is you can't park in the shade, I like setting mine on a tripod.

rockerdude

I have always carried around my dish, first on a tripod and then I bought a Winegard dish that folded into itself with 50' or 100' of cable. I like having the ability to place the dish where I can get a signal, between the trees. If you have it mounted, you might find yourself in a spot where there are trees or other obstructions, blocking your only way to the satellite.

bdb2047

I installed the travler on ours.Called Heartand service about location to install on roof.Was told OK to install no specific area no special reinforcemet required.Coax was behind speaker in bedroom ceiling one on door side .Was not wired for control foam insulation had a path cut in to pull contorl wire thru had to cut ceiling to fish wire.was not hard to do hardest part was getting dish to roof.Have been told they are now running control wiring with pre-wire. I also carry tri-pod.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We just left a campground where they said no one could get a satellite signal due to all the trees. Just for grins and giggles I set the Sat dish in a place that looked possible. In 5 minutes, wala... Satellite up and running. Could not have picked it up with a dish on the roof. I wouldn't buy a roof mounted dish because I would still have to carry my dish and tripod. Why spend the money and go through the hassle.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From one who recently had to perform the "Dances with Dome" act, having the ability to move it to a slot in the tree canopy is most desireable. I also have a ladder mount for it, but the way our site is treed, it would have been like putting the antenna behind a wall. It's not set up in this photo, but the carryout antenna is now sitting behind the two large trees on the left of the photo, next to the small pine. I buried the cables running across the site.

View attachment 20365

ncc1701e

I didn't really like the tripod on the ground nor did I want to climb the ladder to put the dish on top of the ladder using the factory ladder mount. Thought there had to be another option. Satelite Mount 1.jpg

Westwind

I've seen it mounted on the ladder and that seems like it is a great idea, my choice is going to be a Dish "Tailgater" that I can move about I just have to thing up a way to lock it up and I think I've figured that out. Fortunately our 2012 Bighorn has the connections in the outside compartment and inside in the bedroom and livingroom, I just hope that everything is wired ok.

ncc1701e

I've seen it mounted on the ladder and that seems like it is a great idea, my choice is going to be a Dish "Tailgater" that I can move about I just have to thing up a way to lock it up and I think I've figured that out. Fortunately our 2012 Bighorn has the connections in the outside compartment and inside in the bedroom and livingroom, I just hope that everything is wired ok.

What does not show in the picture is the power cable with a 1/4 steel cable that locks to the dish and frame of the trailer. Basically, I build a plate with all the connections coming out of the bottom of the UDC for connections and fixed a lock hook for one end of the steel cable right next to it. Short of cutting the steel cable the only thing some one can steal is the connecting RG6 cable. Not show, because I did not have it at the time, is also a lock that goes through the base of the supporting pole.

RollingHome

Like others have said, the coax cable in mine was under the speaker in the front BR. I would not mount it on the roof because I am concerned about low hanging tree branches ripping it off on back roads and maybe damaging the roof... Just a thought.

donr827

Like others have said, the coax cable in mine was under the speaker in the front BR. I would not mount it on the roof because I am concerned about low hanging tree branches ripping it off on back roads and maybe damaging the roof... Just a thought.

When they are in the stowed position they sit lower then the air conditioner. At least mine does.
Don

RollingHome

Don, I brought the branch hit up because on my last trip out a low branch broke my bath fan/vent plastic dome (it leaks now and must be replaced). I also noticed a sewer vent cap gone... I'm not sure how to stop the hits because my route is under trees - I have no choice ???

I also notice that my roof (like other roofs) is only 1/4" luan plywood with the membrane (thick as a pool liner) glued to the luan on top. Under that is a couple of inches of foam insulation. On the bottom of the foam the room ceiling panel is glued to the foam. If a tree branch were to grab hold of something fastened to the roof it might make one heck of a hole... Just a thought.