ATF: Cyclone - Slide seals.....

oscar

Specifically the upper slide seals.....

Poll:

What is an acceptable occurrence for the top slide seal to come out of it's track:

1: Once a year.
2: Once a month
3: Every time you operate the slide....

The answer of course is "never". Unfortunately they come out, a lot. First time it was unbeknownst to me, and water got on the kitchen slide, and on to the floor. Happened while it was in storage. Nice moldy carpet...... Oh well I fixed it. Kept an eye on the seals, and it turns out EVERY time I open them I have to get on a ladder and make sure the seals staid put so that next time I close them I don't have a leak. UNSAT. 80 thousand worth of UNSAT.

Yes I lubricate them, all the time. But they stick enough that when you open the slide they pull out, and that's because it's too easy to pull them out. They are FLIMSY, UNDER DESIGED, and UNSUITABLE.

Please tell me you have an improved seal and will install it for me at no cost.

That would be the right thing to do.

oscar

And to all the "Call Heartland" posters, I did. "Our hours are Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm Eastern time". It was Friday, 3.30, pm and they were closed.

jnbhobe

They close at 3 or 3:30 on Friday in the summer, Always have I think and helps make a nice weekend.

oscar

Just discovered three feet of side seal out of it's track.

HL is quickly losing me as a fan.

oscar

I don't think so. It's a mechanical "lock", or lack thereof, and there is a lot of expansion and contraction with temperature changes.

oscar

I'll take some pictures, and I'll make a diagram, as it's all so minimal that it will be hard to see in a photo.

oscar

It happened again. I could have sworn the seals were in place, but somehow water worked it's way into the kitchen slide. Two more rugs in the trash, and this time it worked it's way down the floor into the smaller right side storage compartment. Little propane tanks nice and rusty now, black carpet stained. This is really unacceptable.

After thinking about this it seems to happen when the trailer is nose down in storage. Will have to bring some 6x6's and get her nose up.....

oscar

Follow up...... just went up on the ladder and the ENTIRE upper seal on the kitchen slide is out of it's track. There's another hour of futseling that back in.....

Am I the ONLY one having this problem? These seals are wholly inadequate....

Is there a fix?

(And yes I lubricate them.....it just takes little to nothing to pull them out of their track....)

Called HL. Voicemail says the man will be out of the office until yesterday.

oscar

Talked to someone at HL, didn't bother to introduce himself. Said he would email me pictures of profiles to establish what I have. Said he hit "send"......still waiting.

Meanwhile, a little silver lining. Removing the screw(s) at the ends of the seal and just yanking them out and sliding them back on the track is a lot faster than working them in inch by inch......

I've been using slide seal conditioner, which apparently is not slippery enough for these delicate flowers. Does anyone use anything else? I recall someone using vegetable oil? I am considering teflon spray......

danemayer

I've been using slide seal conditioner, which apparently is not slippery enough for these delicate flowers. Does anyone use anything else? I recall someone using vegetable oil? I am considering teflon spray......

The Heartland Trailer Manual that came with your RV says:
Slide Out Weather Seals
Frequently check all seals and gaskets on the slide out walls for proper fit and operation. The seals and gaskets should be coated with a silicone spray for easier operation and weather protection.

That said, I seem to recall this question coming up at a North American Rally where I think the seal supplier rep told us to use water to clean the seals and that no treatments were needed.

oscar

The Heartland Trailer Manual that came with your RV says:

That said, I seem to recall this question coming up at a North American Rally where I think the seal supplier rep told us to use water to clean the seals and that no treatments were needed.

I don't think you understand what I am dealing with. The seals bake to the slides and come out of their tracks when the slide opens. Without treatment I'd be replacing 9 seals at 8-18 feet every time I use my camper.....

oscar

Did you start using the lubricant before the problem started, or after?

Good question..... after. Still no matter what is on there, they shouldn't pull out of their track.

edit: Just read somewhere where someone having similar problems went to (baby) powder. That may be an idea. Also, I am going to clean the inside of the slide flange and make sure there's nothing there to stick to.

Shouldn't be this complicated.