ATF: Cyclone - Using generator while traveling

Burke

My lovely wife and I have a 2011 Cyclone 3800 with factory installed Onan Generator. Is it safe to use my generator while traveling? I want to use it for the fridge & for 1 AC while in route. It gets awfully hot here in Texas and it takes a while to get the rig cooled down after setting up.

taken

We too use ours on the road a couple of hours before arriving on hot days. Never a problem.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
There are some roads that LP gas must be turned off at the tanks. There are no such requirements that I am aware of for gas or diesel. One that I am thinking of is the Chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel

taken

The only trouble I ever had was heading into the mountains when it was about 97 out. Between the altitude change and the turbulence at the air intake, the genset stalled. Found it off when we took a break. Adjusted the carb, restarted, and was fine the rest of the trip in. If I knew when I ordered my rig what I know know, I would have ordered the generator prep but no generator. Then I would have bought the newer EFI version of the Onan 5500. Love getting rid of carbs whenever possible!

Jim.Allison

Im pretty sure that you can travel the southern route from left coast to right coast on I-10 and never have anyone look at your generator or LP bottles. In Texas there is one tunnel under the Houston Ship channel. But its not likely that it is on your route. I know of no law that would prevent you from running an onboard generator in Texas.

You owners manual warns specifically against parking in proximity of fuel pumps with your LP appliances operating, I would assume that would include your generator. I would assume it is within the rules to pull up turn off your TV then the generator, before you fuel.

BTW, many motorhomes travel with their generators running all the time.

rxbristol

BTW, many motorhomes travel with their generators running all the time.

We used to always run the generator in our motorhome while traveling in hot weather, but for some odd reason never thought about it for the 5th wheel...I guess because I'm not physically able to monitor it. Seems silly now that I think about it.

Ladiver

Ha, I had the exact same question 24 hours ago with the wife. We were heading south in California, it was almost 95 out and the dogs were in the back. Since we had no internet to ask this wonderful forum, I said heck with it and turned the gen on and ran the a/c for them.

The only problem I ran into (twice) was on a steep grade where the fuel would not get to the intake (low fuel) and the generator would stall out. Once to level ground, we would restart the generator and all would be good. Solution would be to keep the generator fuel tank at least 1/4-1/2 full if traveling in the mountains.