ATF: Sundance - 50 amp conversion

CTD2005

Just wondering what all I would need to change and what kind of pricing it would cost me to convert from 30 amp to 50 amp service on my Sundance. I would do the labor myself. I want to add a second ac unit and wondering if it would be worth while to upgrade to 50 amp service compared to running the secondary ac unit independent from the RV breaker panel.

CTD2005

50 amp service upgrade

I want to upgrade my 2009 Heartland Sundance XLT287RL from existing 30 amp to 50 amp service. I am looking at upgrading the 30 amp distribution panel to the WFCO WF8930/50NPB distribution panel, change my shore power connection to 50 amp, change the shore power to distribution panel wire to 6/3 and new shore power cord. I have no generator involved so there is no transfer switch. Is there anything else I am over looking that also needs to be upgraded? I am doing this because I am going to add a second ac unit and I want it all on the same distribution panel.
Thanks for any and all assistance!
Nick

danemayer

Re: ATF: Sundance - 50amp conversion

Hi Nick,

I merged your two threads so there's only one discussion (and also to comply with forum rules).

One thing to consider is that since your floorplan was 30Amp, there wouldn't have been any prep for a 2nd A/C unit. You'll need a plan for routing 110V from the breaker box to the 2nd A/C.

Also, I don't know if there's currently a fan in the roof on your trailer, which might provide framing for the A/C opening. If not, you'll be blazing a trail in the roof, so to speak.

CTD2005

Re: ATF: Sundance - 50amp conversion

Thanks Dan. Yes I have a vent in the bedroom & can set the second ac in its frame. I do not have 120v power at the hole but it looks like there is a straight shot I can fish a wire along the area following the ac duct to the closet where everything drops down to the distribution panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk