Atwood Drain Plug Replacement

I picked up my new Sundance fifth wheel (my first RV) yesterday and last night the drain plug for the water heater started leaking. It appears to have been cross threaded when originally installed. My question is, do I have to use a plastic plug like the factory original or can I use any 1/2" npt plug?

Thanks,
gwtomlinson

jimtoo

Hi gwtomlinson,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I know of no reason why you can't use a regular plug, of course wrap with threads Teflon tape.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

dbbls59

Atwood water heaters require a plastic or nylon plug, just like the factory installed. Any RV supply store will have them.

Kbvols

I bought plastic plug at Ace hardware. Buy a couple of them they are inexpensive good to have a spare and to change out periodically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked up my new Sundance fifth wheel (my first RV) yesterday and last night the drain plug for the water heater started leaking. It appears to have been cross threaded when originally installed. My question is, do I have to use a plastic plug like the factory original or can I use any 1/2" npt plug?

Thanks,
gwtomlinson

Thanks everyone. I went and bought a PVC plug plus spares at my local home improvement store. No more leaks. Thanks everyone!