Availability of Polyethylene Strips Under Slides

floridarandy

Greetings. We take possession of our 2009 2900mk from its original owner on 10/5. One of the first things I want to do is add this "fix" to all 3 slides. The current owner reports scoring of the slide surface so we want to stop further progression. Can these be done under warranty if we are 2nd owner? If so please describe process. If not how do i get them? Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's unlikely that any remaining warranty will be transferrable, but who knows? At any rate, you can get the "Parkland Plastic Kits" directly from Heartland Customer Service. They run something like $40 each, after shipping. 10% less if you're a HOC member. Figure one kit for each slide. The kits contain two long (48" I think) pieces of the plastic with PSA tape on them, along with a tube of the 105 Sealant/Adhesive. They do not include the aluminum edge trim, however. That you have to order separately or fabricate from roof edge molding or have it bent to your specs (I did) at an aluminum siding dealer. The cost for that can range from $9 to maybe $15, depending on what you use and where you get it.

If you look at some of the other posts about doing this modification, you can see that it's a fairly simple job.

floridarandy

It's unlikely that any remaining warranty will be transferrable, but who knows? At any rate, you can get the "Parkland Plastic Kits" directly from Heartland Customer Service. They run something like $40 each, after shipping. 10% less if you're a HOC member. Figure one kit for each slide. The kits contain two long (48" I think) pieces of the plastic with PSA tape on them, along with a tube of the 105 Sealant/Adhesive. They do not include the aluminum edge trim, however. That you have to order separately or fabricate from roof edge molding or have it bent to your specs (I did) at an aluminum siding dealer. The cost for that can range from $9 to maybe $15, depending on what you use and where you get it.

If you look at some of the other posts about doing this modification, you can see that it's a fairly simple job.

John - i assume the aluminum edge trim you refer to deals with the moisture wicking on the outside edge of the floor slide which was subject to some of the delamination issues?

thanks to all for the QUICK response.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes. The aluminum is to cover the exposed edges of the plywood to prevent water run-off from wicking into it. The plastic strips are to prevent damage from the rollers or "slide strips", if you will, as the slides move in and out. What seems to have happened in the worst cases is that the water damage has softened the underside of the slide floor and the weight of it moving in and out over the contact points has further chewed up the now softened wood.

In another thread, it is mentioned that the factory preferred method is to lift the slide and install the plastic so that it is on and past the roller or bevel edges with the slide fully extended. That may be the case, but some of us have just installed it as far as possible without lifting the slides, so it only goes up to the roller/bevel strip. That's how I did mine and have not noticed any problems moving the slides in or out.

The price I show for the aluminum trim is not for parts obtained from HL. Those are the prices if you substitute materials, as some of us have.