Axel rating

macjj

I am looking to replace the electric drum brakes on my 2012 Big Horn 3070 with electric-hydraulic disk breaks. To accomplish this I need to identify the axel make model. The tag on the axel states DEX# 2401891, the manual indicates LIPPERT. The tag on the outside says DEXTER axels as does the sticker (and Heartland PN). The stamp on the axel is 131031584 (which corresponds to DEXTER part numbers. There is a stamp on the axel that's 6000 lbs, however the break hub is an 8 x 6.5 pattern. Dexter's 6000 lbs axels have a 6 lug pattern, therefore I am assume these are 7000 lb axels. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Do you have a label like this on your axle? D70 is a 7000 lb axle.

Attachments

• Rushmore Axle Label.jpg
    Rushmore Axle Label.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 62

Titanguy

You really need to know the stud size. Could be 1/2" or 9/16" very few are 5/8".
All 8-6.5 BC will be a 13" integrated Hub/Rotor assembly. You do have a Dexter axle. If the stamp says 6,000 lb axle that is what you have. Dexter did make some 6k axles with 8-6.5 BC with 1/2" studs so I am assuming you have 1/2" studs, this needs to be confirmed.

pegmikef

I have a BH3010 and the standard axle rating is 6000 pounds, but I ordered the option for 7000 pound axles and the label on the axle states the same.

The shorter Big Horn frames are 10 inch rather than the 12 inch on the longer ones and normally have 6000 pound axles unless the 7k option is ordered when the unit is built.

hoefler

It is usually cheaper to buy the complete axle than to buy the components and install them. I am going to go to 8,000 lb axels when I go to disc brakes, the complete axle is about $100 cheaper than buying the parts.

macjj

No mine states D60, so I presume 6000. I am tending to replace everything with dexter 7000 axels. Got a quote for $2500 for 2 axels, dis breaks, 8 x 6.5 lug pattern, Dexter actuator, and brake line kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Titanguy

Sounds like a great deal. Make sure the stud size is the same on both the 6k and new 7k or you may need to replace wheels as well.

etcmss

maybe this manual will help.

Attachments

• Dexter Axle, Brake - 600-8K_Complete_Service_Manual_3-13.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 34