Axle Alignment Tolerance?

piet10

I am a newbie to RV'ing, but have learned more from this forum than any other forum I have belonged to.

I measured my axle alignment today in my Greystone, by measuring from rim edge to rim edge (to get rid of the variation in tire flexing). I am off by 3/16 inch. Is this a concern, or is it close enough? The reason I ask is that after reading about all the tire problems (I have Towmax), and the fabulous information on tire pressure monitoring systems, I will be installing a TST 507 TPMS for peace of mind. Will this much variation cause an abnormal tire wear?

Thanks for any advice, and wonderful forum.

Al

jnbhobe

I don't think 3/16th is much at all, you can get that in spring flex alone. Did you measure it after a long straight ahead pull ?? It will take that just to get the axels straight.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that is important when checking the axles is to be sure that you have towed the trailer in a straight line for a while to ensure that the axles oriented in the straight direction.
HERE is a link to some Lippert information about your axles.
This applies if you have Lippert. If you have Dexter we will have to look elsewhere.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here is a place to locate the specs from Lippert, the frame mfg.

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=186&Itemid=114

Regarding the tires, a TST is a definite must. It's already saved us once.

Before we got it,
I would check the tires each stop... Watch the tires for any sign of distortion in the sidewall where the tread pattern starts. (watch for it to look "stretched". That is what I saw that made me question the tire-- once removed, we found many of the internal belts had busted, there were bubbles in the rubber on the inside of the tire -- it was a blowout waiting to happen.

GOTTOYS

The problems with TowMax tires going bad are from the TowMax tires and their lack of quality construction. It's difficult to check your alignment yourself as you need to reference it off the kingpin. If your tires are not wearing abnormally on any of the edges you are probably alright. Misalignment will usually cause one or more edges of the tire or tires, to wear rapidly. If you need to correct it you can go to one of the RV shops and they can guess at it and sell you a new axle or install one their new alignment kits for around $800.00 or you can go to a big truck/trailer shop and have them check it and professionally align it for around $150.00..JMHO..Don

piet10

Measuring after a straight pull is interesting. When I park the trailer I pull into the space with a hard right turn. The right side was the "short" side! Will measure again after a long straight pull.

Thanks!