Batteries boiled dry

eddylives

Is it common for a 2012 trail runner 26FBQ that is parked with full service all summer to boil the batteries dry?
I had noticed a drastic loss of power when the power was turned off for the season....as in the batteries were dead within 5 days while we were not there.
After thinking things through I popped the tops off of the two deep cycle 12V batteries and Whoa the cells were very dry.....I mean it took 1.5 liters per to top them up again.
I thought these newer trailers had smart chargers that did not over charge the battery?
Or is this just the way it works and the batteries need to be monitored a little more closely in the future?
Anyone have any advice or insight to this issue?

rxbristol

I had to watch my batteries on a previous SOB because of the type of converter it had. If I were to guess, you either have a cheap or defective converter. Take a look at it and research the brand/type and go from there. BTW, if the water went so low that it exposed the plates, your battery is probably bad now.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You do need to monitor the electrolyte level.
The newer chargers will go to a high charge state to "boil off" impurities on the plates.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had a two battery setup in our previous 2013 Trail Runner 22RK (now called the 24RK).

In the 2 1/2 years we owned it we always had it plugged in at the house year round and I had to top off the batteries a couple of times, but not very much.

We've now had our Prowler for about 1 1/2 years and I topped of the single battery once just after we got it and each time I've checked it since it is still at the top.

It is also always plugged in year round at the house when not on the road.

Jim.Allison

Fill them with distilled water, then equalize the system. If you do not have the capability to equalize, the just charge them, It's not good for the electrolyte to get below the electrodes, but it may not have damaged them badly.

Is it common for a 2012 trail runner 26FBQ that is parked with full service all summer to boil the batteries dry?
I had noticed a drastic loss of power when the power was turned off for the season....as in the batteries were dead within 5 days while we were not there.
After thinking things through I popped the tops off of the two deep cycle 12V batteries and Whoa the cells were very dry.....I mean it took 1.5 liters per to top them up again.
I thought these newer trailers had smart chargers that did not over charge the battery?
Or is this just the way it works and the batteries need to be monitored a little more closely in the future?
Anyone have any advice or insight to this issue?

SNOKING

When the water/acid goes below the plates you damage them and there is no way to restore them back to what they were before the plates were exposes. Chris

Jim.Allison

What permanent damage would you expect to DEFINITELY happen to the cells if the electrolyte drops below the surface of the electrodes?

When the water/acid goes below the plates you damage them and there is no way to restore them back to what they were before the plates were exposes. Chris

SNOKING

What permanent damage would you expect to DEFINITELY happen to the cells if the electrolyte drops below the surface of the electrodes?

The battery will never again have it full storage capacity.

6. What happens if the water runs too low?
Two serious problems occur by running the water level too low. There is an increase in heat and a deterioration of battery plates. This restricts the battery from charging and destroys the battery plates. Just like overcharging this destruction can take place in a matter of 5 months.

From Torjan Batteries.

Under-watering: In deep-cycle, lead acid batteries water is lost during the charging process. If the electrolyte level drops below the tops of the plates, irreparable damage may occur. Water levels should be checked and maintained routinely.

Jim.Allison

The battery will never again have it full storage capacity.

6. What happens if the water runs too low?
Two serious problems occur by running the water level too low. There is an increase in heat and a deterioration of battery plates. This restricts the battery from charging and destroys the battery plates. Just like overcharging this destruction can take place in a matter of 5 months.

From Torjan Batteries.

Under-watering: In deep-cycle, lead acid batteries water is lost during the charging process. If the electrolyte level drops below the tops of the plates, irreparable damage may occur. Water levels should be checked and maintained routinely.

Definitely, can, and may are all different terms. It is worth a try for the OP to water his batts and equalize them. If that were to happen to me, I would do exactly that, and hope that I could recover them. It is not a "given" that he destroyed his batts, and that is my point.

eddylives

Thanks for all the reply's. Lots of good info.
I will have to check them with my tester after a full charging cycle.
That should tell me if they are pooched or not......