Battery constantly needs charging.

We have a North Trail 21FBS (2016) and when we dry camp, I basically have to pull out the generator at lease once a day for 1 1/2 hours. We don't leave anything on like lights or fans, etc. Is this a standard for North Trail , or might there be a problem? In addition, after leaving the camper for four weeks, the battery was dead & did not recharge well on a three hour trip last week.

I saw the forum on using two batteries, which I will consider as well. Any thoughts on actions I should take would be appreciated.

danemayer

We have a North Trail 21FBS (2016) and when we dry camp, I basically have to pull out the generator at lease once a day for 1 1/2 hours. We don't leave anything on like lights or fans, etc. Is this a standard for North Trail , or might there be a problem? In addition, after leaving the camper for four weeks, the battery was dead & did not recharge well on a three hour trip last week.

I saw the forum on using two batteries, which I will consider as well. Any thoughts on actions I should take would be appreciated.

Hi LoveCamping,

Relative to leaving the camper for four weeks, there are some parasitic drains from radio and Propane Detector, and possibly other devices. You need to install a battery cutoff switch to keep the battery from being drained.

When a battery is repeatedly run down, it may sustain damage. Also, if you don't check the water level and keep it up, you can lose the charge and may ruin the battery.

So it sounds like your battery is no longer holding much of a charge. Take it to an auto parts store or service center to have it load tested. Replace as necessary.

In addition to considering 2 batteries (of the same age), you might look at upsizing. You may have a Group 24 and if you have space could get a Group 27 which will have a higher amp-hour rating.

Oregon_Camper

If it is the stock battery, I'm not surprised by its performance. Like Dan said, replacing with a quality battery (or batteries) will do wonders. I have 3 Trojan T-1275's in our RV (click on my blog link below for all details) which really help with our dry camping adventures.

Oh..do you have LED bulbs or standard bulbs? You'd be surprised how much of a difference that change alone can make.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Consider a AGM battery from Sams Club, if you have one nearby. Lower cost for a good maintenance free battery with better performance. They are more expensive but worth it.

Also consider a group 29 battery from WalMart. Bigger than the group 24 or 27, and WalMarts are nearly everywhere if it fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Does the battery last longer the first day out? 1.5 hours is most likely not fully recharging the battery, and as noted above you may have already damaged the battery with complete discharges. What size/model is your converter? Chris

BusManRG

We've had a lot of battery issues. For one thing, a single 12 volt battery is not enough for our big horn. We've just switched over to two 6 volt true deep cycle batteries. Over the last year. we have found out more about battery maintenance. and that batteries really do not do well if the ambient temperature is 90° or higher. Check the water in the batteries often especially as the ambient temperature climbs. What's the temperature in the areas that you do most of your dry camping?

Sandy

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

.........Make sure your battery is disconnected/cut off anytime you're plugged into shore power and then reconnect when you're ready to level or travel.

Then how would you ever charge your batteries? The trickle charge from our truck would never get our 3 batteries to full charge.

I only disconnect the batteries (3) when I put the trailer in storage. However, I also have the solar directly connected to batteries (via MPPT controller) so they are are typically at 100% every time I get it from storage.

danemayer

We've had a lot of battery issues. .... Make sure your battery is disconnected/cut off anytime you're plugged into shore power and then reconnect when you're ready to level or travel.

Sandy,

I'm sure that almost everyone on this forum leaves the battery connected while on shore power. We've done so for 7 years including long stretches in Texas summer heat. Yes, you do have to monitor water level in the batteries. But water boiling off quickly is an abnormal condition.

In my opinion, anyone having battery problems should look for the root cause, not develop workarounds.

BusManRG

Sandy,

I'm sure that almost everyone on this forum leaves the battery connected while on shore power. We've done so for 7 years including long stretches in Texas summer heat. Yes, you do have to monitor water level in the batteries. But water boiling off quickly is an abnormal condition.

In my opinion, anyone having battery problems should look for the root cause, not develop workarounds.
Good morning! I don't disagree. And we have been leaving our batteries plugged in on our old unit for years. But we've now been to two batteries stores that claim that's why we've lost both sets of batteries. Not trying to share lousy information, just a suggestion so I don't disagree just sharing the latest that we've been told. But in the interest of best practice, I'll modify my post!

danemayer

we've now been to two batteries stores that claim that's why we've lost both sets of batteries.

My experience with car batteries in south Florida and central Texas is that they have a shorter life than I used to experience in more moderate climates - after 4 to 5 years they just quit without warning. And I have heard similar explanations from auto shops regarding the heat and its effect on car batteries. But I've also gotten that same story from a Honda dealer about very short life on constant velocity joints.

My experience with the RV deep cycle batteries is that unlike the car battery sudden failure, they gradually degrade with respect to holding a full charge. I wouldn't go so far as to say that is a typical scenario, but I have seen and heard from a number of owners that they've had similar experience with gradual degradation on RV batteries.

Not checking the water level regularly seems to catch a few people off guard each year.

carl.swoyer

I've been using deka group 31 AGM batteries for 9 years. They can be run down further and they charge faster. I have four wired together. No more battery acid mist and they are maintenance free.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Prior to going full time, our old rig would sit for several weeks and batteries were always low or dead. I started leaving it plugged in and no more problems. Also, while full timing for nearly five years the original batteries (two) were still strong and never an issue. My experience suggests that batteries do better if maintained by a constant charge.

justafordguy

Prior to going full time, our old rig would sit for several weeks and batteries were always low or dead. I started leaving it plugged in and no more problems. Also, while full timing for nearly five years the original batteries (two) were still strong and never an issue. My experience suggests that batteries do better if maintained by a constant charge.

I agree. I keep a trickle charger on all of my batteries, especially if they don't get used much.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders

For about $160 you could put up 1 100 W solar panel and it would keep your batteries topped off all the time. Since I added the panel our batteries are always charged.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are on our third RV in 17 years now and have always left them plugged in at home.

Never a problem so far.

Only changed out one battery on our first trailer after we'd had it for 10 years, but don't really know how long that battery was in that trailer before we bought it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You might consider adding solar if you dry camp a lot.
I have 3 batteries and solar. I have had my converter shut off for the past year and run 100% of my 12v needs from solar.

two of the batteries are Walmart group 29, the third, looks and specs are identical but is interstate battery.

carl.swoyer

If you have let the water level inside the batteries run down or low you can burn a memory into them. Meaning they will no longer be able to charge completely.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine is the OEM Group 24 battery and the rig is plugged into shore power all summer. Over the winter, I store it in the garage and put the charger on it occasionally. Do check the water and make sure the terminals are clean.

I use the battery at the storage yard to open/close the slides and run the water pump as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

OK, a bit on converters, they do not put out a very flat DC voltage line. The battery in the circuit acts like a filter to smooth out the DC voltage. Things like stereo's produce a low level hum if operated off the converter without the battery in the circuit. Chris