Battery Panel Question and Charge Issue

buggyboo16

I am brand new to RVing and cannot seem to find this answer online. When I check my panel for the status of the battery, all 4 LED lights are red. From what I have read, that typically means there is a blown fuse somewhere. Is this correct?

We were on shore power for about 2 weeks and when we tried to pack up and leave, the slides and the jacks would not operate. I believe we drained down our battery because we didn't turn the battery cut off switch. We were able to eventually get enough juice when we hooked up to the tow vehicle, but I want to prevent this from happening moving forward. Where do I start?

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi buggyboo16,

If you have a panel that looks like this,
DSC01275.jpg

4 lights means fully charged. Except, if you're plugged into shore power, it's actually showing you the output of the Power Converter, not the battery. If you turn off the 120V AC circuit breaker for the Power Converter, or turn off the main circuit breakers, you'll get the battery reading.

The lack of power to the slides and jacks does suggest a drained battery. And you don't want to turn the battery cutoff to OFF while on shore power (only when in storage). When on shore power, the Power Converter changes 120V AC to 12V DC and keeps the battery charged. The Power Converter also supplies 12V to the fuses in your main fuse box, as does the battery.

What probably happened is that the 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the battery has tripped and needs to be reset. That breaker is in the path between the Power Converter and the battery. When it trips, the battery doesn't get charged. And the battery will gradually drain. The classic symptom for this situation is that you unplug from shore power and all your interior lights immediately go out.

The mini-circuit breaker is one in a row of breakers connected by a copper buss bar, and usually covered by a red rubber boot. They're located near the battery. One breaker has a teeny-tiny reset button that's very hard to see. Check the pictures below. Your arrangement on the buss bar may be different, but look for the breaker with a thick wire on each side.

If you have a residential refrigerator, the inverter for the fridge might be sucking power. Normally with the Power Converter keeping the batteries charged, that's not an issue, and it makes sense to keep the inverter ON in case there's a power outage. But with that mini-circuit breaker tripped, the batteries aren't getting recharged and the inverter could be responsible for draining the batteries over that 2 week period.

If you have the residential refrigerator, there's a block diagram in our Residential Refrigerator Guide that will help you understand all this. If not, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 50
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 38

buggyboo16

danemayer Thank you! You were correct about the mini circuit breaker being tripped. We had our converter load tested a little while back and I bet that is when it happened. I was able to find the mini circuit breaker and get it reset (once I turned the battery cutoff OFF)!
I also feel better knowing how to actually read the battery panel now! Thanks so much for helping a newbie out.

BusManRG

So after searching the forum and manuals, we think this is exactly our problem. Originally we thought it was the battery so while in Vegas last week we replaced the battery, but the minute we disconnect from shore power, we've got nothing. After finding your great diagram we confidently went searching for the tiny little reset button. For the life of us, we can't find it. Is it that tiny? IMG_4666.jpgIMG_4664.jpg

Thanks, Sandy

MikeR

Yes, the reset switch is that small! Look on the side of the circuit breakers. Probably better to use your finger than your eye.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

So after searching the forum and manuals, we think this is exactly our problem. Originally we thought it was the battery so while in Vegas last week we replaced the battery, but the minute we disconnect from shore power, we've got nothing. After finding your great diagram we confidently went searching for the tiny little reset button. For the life of us, we can't find it. Is it that tiny? View attachment 50614View attachment 50615

Thanks, Sandy

Sandy It should be on the bottom side of that first one in the row.
8aadf8525e8ec901f94c8a59476afa4e.jpg

You know If you need anything I'm here. You have my number.

Last edited:

LBR

So after searching the forum and manuals, we think this is exactly our problem. Originally we thought it was the battery so while in Vegas last week we replaced the battery, but the minute we disconnect from shore power, we've got nothing. After finding your great diagram we confidently went searching for the tiny little reset button. For the life of us, we can't find it. Is it that tiny? View attachment 50614View attachment 50615

Thanks, Sandy
I see you have a 2017 build as we do...our CY is a late 2017.

I spent 3 hours going thru my entire 12 volt system in the front compartment snugging up connections, cleaning up dangling wires, recrimping a couple terminals, etc. I kept this manual reset breaker in mind and seeked it out, just to know which breaker it is for that dark and stormy night reset. I swear our rig does not have a reset on any breakers, as you have implicated with yours also.

I'm going to look again and take pictures with the phone for better visibility of all breakers, but I'm 95% sure I don't have a manual reset on that main breaker. If this is true, this may be a new trend on upcoming models IMO.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just to be clear this is the little black button to push in.
You can see its on the gold post side of the breaker. which is on the bottom of yours
16f3acd8e5633486b4e780106d60cbbd.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BusManRG

We had to take the BH back to the barn and will not be able to take another look until Saturday. We will update as soon as we have a chance to check it out!

BusManRG

Update: We (Rich) found the reset button! Tiny little thing, but it was there. Thanks so much for all of the help. That was the problem. Everything's working great now!! Btw, if the breaker hadn't tripped, it would've even been more difficult to find. Because the breaker had tripped, the button was out. If you're looking for this button and the breaker hadn't actually tripped, the button would be almost flush against the side of the breaker making it even more difficult to locate.

Thanks agein!

Sandy