BC 3250 slide insulation

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Like many people here we have been busy insulatiing our underbelly and basement.

One area we had a real problem though was not in the underbelly but in the left slide.
We had a strong draft coming out from behind the refridgerator trim. When the wind was blowing hard outside, there was enough of a draft to blow out a match. The other problem was our silverware drawer was also in this slide and when it was cold outside our silverware was also ice cold. And when you open the drawer you could feel a blast of cold air.

On the 3250, there is an outside electrical storage compartment right behind the bank of drawers and stove. Just to the left of that is the fridge.

After removing the back luan inside the electrical compartment this is what I found

HPIM0061.jpg HPIM0062.jpg
After removing the 'top" of the compartment I found no insulation between the exterior wall and the interior wall.
HPIM0063.jpg HPIM0064.jpg
(looking up inside the exterior compartment)

I know HL considers this wall an interior wall so I was not surprised by finding no insulation. The problem is with the compartment door being very thin and allowing cold air to enter this space, there was a great deal of heat loss through this space.
After pulling the fridge vent next to this compartment I found only 1 side of the fridge had insulation on its side. The side that had the draft had nothing between the fridge and wall on the top half of the fridge.
I finished installing some batt insulation on the top half of the fridge and on top of the fridge. On the wall that divided the exterior compartment and the fridge compartment I installed 1" thick closed cell foam board.
I also used this foam board in the wall that is directly behind the stove and kitchen drawers.

HPIM0067.jpgHPIM0068.jpgHPIM0072.jpgHPIM0073.jpg

Above the exterior compartment I used R30 batt. Because there was no way to get up high enough to staple the insulation to the studs, I used adhesive and glued the R30 to a piece of foam board just to hold it in place,

The final step was to reinstall a peice of luan for the back wall of the compartment. Since the back wall is larger than the opening, I split the luan and "folded" it into the compartment.

Then I sealed all edges and gaps with aluminum duct tape (not the cloth stuff)
HPIM0076.jpgHPIM0077.jpg

Hopefully this will help someone else who is trying to "tighten up" their trailer.
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Great food for thought and a wonderful bunch of pictures. Thanks Larry

jnbhobe

Darn Larry now you found something else for me to look at !!! Its a nice looking job. I still have the Pex lines to straighten out and the Progressive EMS to install.Now I have more winter jobs. lol

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Darn Larry now you found something else for me to look at !!! Its a nice looking job. I still have the Pex lines to straighten out and the Progressive EMS to install.Now I have more winter jobs. lol
Be honest Jon, winter just means your baby sits in a heated building. :D

Go ahead and look moose, it only hurts for a little bit

GOTTOYS

And I was going to bring a couple small projects with me to have something to do this Winter. At the rate I'm digging up projects I could stay there all Summer too....Don