Bed Saver

Hey guys..........wanted to know what type of bed savers you guys would recommend/using for my Husky 16K hitch? I know about Blue Ox of course
but thought I would throw it out there and see what else is out there. Thx all help is appreciated

Ross

ram_1955

If I could find one I would probably put it on. But since they are discontinued ��

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We, no matter what, to do a test tug on our rig after hitching and before retracting the landing gear fully.

Recently at a rally we hitched, did our test tug, then realized our tailgate was at an angle and couldn't be closed. We had to unhitch and re-adjust the truck. We hitched again, so again, we had to do a test tug.

The one time you don't, could be the time you drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Do the tug test every time. No worries. The bed saver I saw was a pain because the weight tipped it back hindering line of site to the notch.

Speedy

Love ours and it has saved us even after a tug test. Too bad they have stopped making them because I would not be without one.
P6250040.jpg

rhodies1

Love ours and it has saved us even after a tug test. Too bad they have stopped making them because I would not be without one.
View attachment 44590

Hello Speedy,looking at your picture it appears you do not have a centre bolt installed on your 5th wheel rails.The picture does not show it if you do.Here in Canada it's the law that each rail must have 5 bolts,2 on each end and 1 in the middle,this prevents the rails from flexing when taking off and stopping,especially if you need to stop quickly.Just thought I would pass it on ".......

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There was also this device from Butch's Service, which I mounted to my hitch. Unfortunately, their website currently shows "Under Construction."

Wmnmy

I have the husky 25k hitch and blu ox bed saver love it and piece of mind and it works tested it before I towed with it easy to install also ..

mlpeloquin

I have a Husky 26K hitch. When it latches, it shows the lock position aligned and then I put the pin in. I then do a pull test with out lowering the front jacks. The hitch requires greasing once a year, and it work very smoothly. It also tilts on side angles to remove the stress on the truck frame. Follow this procedure and you don't need a bed saver.

avvidclif

I never saw the need for one therefore never bought one. I visually check my hitch after hooking up and know what it should look like when properly hitched. I know what it would look like when "high hitched" and watch for it. I don't let anyone interrupt my hitching procedure. When I am satisfied then a pull test is done.

To me a bed saver is for those who fail to follow correct hook up procedures.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
According to the Reese instructional video I watched when we first had our hitch installed, the announcer/narrator said that if the handle is all the way in (locked) and the pin is in . . . it WILL NOT come open.

He was pretty matter-of-fact about that.

That said, when I hitch up, I back the truck up to the king pin, which usually makes the handle lock in, then I visually look at the jaws with a flashlight to make sure they are closed . . . install the lock pin . . . then do a pull test.

I do like that bed saver setup that JohnDar has . . . similar hitch to mine.

NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg