Bedroom Door Doesn't Close

dcwettstein

The Bedroom door in my 3160EL does not close. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it but when I got it back home the door didn't close again. It seems to pinch in the frame and will not close or latch. This is a minor annoyance rather then a problem but any help as to how I could adjust it would be helpful. I don't want to take it to the dealer again and would like to know how to fix it myself.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dennis, can you tell if the latch is hitting high or low on the striker?
Or hitting the jamb?
Mine did something similar in that it seemed to bind up on the jamb.
I tried everything I could think of to correct it.
Then at one of the rallies in Goshen I had a couple of the Heartland guys look at it.
They ripped the jamb off, removed a shim that was under there and re installed the jamb.
Perfect job. No more hang ups.

Peace
Dave

dcwettstein

Yes Dave it does seem that the door is hanging up on the jam but I don't see any rubbing. I was thinking of taking off the door and plugging the screw holes and remount the door.

danemayer

If the door is just missing the striker plate opening, a trip to Home Depot or Lowes will fix it for about $3. Get an elongated striker plate. That'll allow for a little twisting that may occur in different leveling situations, which may be why the dealer got it working but when you got home it didn't work.

sengli

Since it is only DW and I in the coach, we decided to just remove the bedroom, and bathroom doors. It opened up the area on the upper landing, and bedroom quite a bit. My wife made up some custom curtins, with a rod for the bathroom for privacy.

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Since it is only DW and I in the coach, we decided to just remove the bedroom, and bathroom doors. It opened up the area on the upper landing, and bedroom quite a bit.

..still waiting for our 3160 to arrive...been on order for 2 months.

I can see taking the bedroom door off, but the bathroom door seems a bit much. I LOVE my wife, but somethings (#2) need some privacy. :cool: