Best Axles - Dexter or Mor/ryde?

Sandpirate69

The question of the week. Which axle is better, the MOR/Ryde or Dexter? Has anyone looked into the air suspension for the axles? My other rig had the MOR/Ryde and never had an issue. :confused:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Take a look at this thread about the air suspension I had installed.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I don't want to seem to hijack but I have Dexters on mine and I'm not sure if the trailer has always been like this or that I just noticed it on my last trip.

The axles are bowed up in the middle, the rear more so than the front axle. I remember looking under the trailer when I bought it and a couple other times but never really noticed the upward curve until about a month ago. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow posted.

jnbhobe

All trailer axels are bowed up in the middle, it is part of the alignment. They are suppose to flatten out some with weight on them. That said the more weight on say a 7K axel vs a 8K axel the flatter it will get. So It would seem to me too heavy of an axel on a trailer would affect the wear of your tires. Thats the way I understood it anyway, I would like to hear more thoughts on it.

DougS

Doug S
Axles need the bow upwards or as it was described to me a frown. Loss the bow and you now have a straight axle and you have inside tread wear on your tires. My RV began to loss it's bow within 2,000 miles and the tires needed to replaced along with the axle. I had the RV weighted, and it is under the rating. I now have 8 K axles.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't think Mor ryde actually manufactures an axle. Lippert and Dexter are axle manufacturers and Mor ryde offers either a full independant torsion suspension OR center point systems for leaf spring axles. I really can't judge which axle is better. I feel both are comparable as long as the right springs are used and the bearings are packed correctly and good seals are used. Brake adjustment is also a critical issue. As long as all of the components are installed correctly, I think they are equal.
All that said, I have had Mor Ryde independent suspension for 2 years and have had no issues.