Bighorn - Awning Mounted on a Slide Wall

Relayman

have you ever seen an electric awning mounted on the slide ?( not a topper, actual awning mounted on the slide wall ) some montanna campers have them. I just bought a Big Horn...and thought that would be pretty nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Relayman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Some Landmark 365s have awnings on the doorside slide, as part of the outside Entertainment Center Package. So it's probably something your dealer could install for you.

SNOKING

Our 2017 BH3575el was dealer ordered with the slide awning option(Option - Power Awning Main Dinetter Slide). All the wiring is hidden in the walls, with the switch near the dining room table light switch at the front corner of the slide. Chris

Relayman

what about a rear hitch ? I just bought a 3270RS and was wondering about a rear hitch?

Relayman

thank you for the info ! My 2017 3270RS currently does not have the awning on the slide. I'm looking at adding one.

danemayer

what about a rear hitch ? I just bought a 3270RS and was wondering about a rear hitch?

Get a 2" receiver hitch fabricated and installed. Note that Lippert provides the warranty on the frame (1 year). If you call them, they will tell you that putting on a hitch will void their warranty. Whether they can enforce that is open to question. But if you were to have a problem in year 2, and call Lippert, the chances of you getting an accommodation from them is probably nil. That said, I'm not aware that anyone putting on a hitch has actually had a frame problem.

But don't tow anything heavy. The frame is not designed for that.

sengli

As for adding the extra awning yourself, I would question whether there anything in that wall to screw into strong enough to support that "extra" awning. I can assume the factory provided units also have extra backing plates built into those wall sections just for the added awnings. Your wall sections most likely dont. The walls being made up of small aluminum tube, with luan and fiberglass backings laminated while strong doesnt leave you with much structure to sink fasteners into.

Oregon_Camper

I went with the custom fabricated hitch for my motorcycle. I've had friends follow me and they tell me the bike hardly moves. I credit this to the fact I designed this hitch with 2 inserts vs just 1 insert. This allows the weight to be distributed to 2 bars and stops all the side-to-side rocking motion.

2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg 2015-08-10 11.43.36.jpg2015-08-10 11.37.55.jpg

Relayman

that is AWESOME. does your hitch bolt up to the main frame ? or to "angle brackets" tacked to the,frame ?