Bighorn - Thru-the-counter soap dispenser DONE!

yport

I recently took delivery of a 2014 Big Horn 3685RL and I have obtained matching soap dispensers for the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I need to drill a 7/8" hole through the countertop to install.

Just wanted to check to be certain what the material is before attempting to drill... and if a standard hole saw (or forstner bit) is all I need for the job.

Thank you

kowAlski631

Why don't you call customer service at HL? I don't believe HL monitors all postings on the forum. Just have your VIN & they can tell you, I'm sure.

Martha

yport

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Thru-the-counter soap dispenser

oh but they apparently do Martha ... within 20 minutes had an email from Big Horn General Manager, Kary. Great service and all set ... answer is - a hole saw bit should work just fine. He said the solid surface material they use is Himacs from LG.

jimtoo

I don't remember for sure,,, but I think I saw where someone said to run the hole saw in reverse when it first contacts the surface for a couple of rounds. It was so it would not cause a large chip the surface when the teeth of the blade first starts or contacts. You might check with someone at a cabinet shop. A phone call won't cost anything.

Jim M

yport

Thanks for the heads up Jim ... I think also taping the area you are drilling first will help too. Had the soap dispenser in our previous coach and loved the idea of it. Putting on in bathroom and kitchen as we found the matching units.

jimtoo

Yes on the taping. Anything to prevent a scratch or chip.

Last edited:

kowAlski631

oh but they apparently do Martha ... within 20 minutes had an email from Big Horn General Manager, Kary. Great service and all set ... answer is - a hole saw bit should work just fine. He said the solid surface material they use is Himacs from LG.

Way to go, Kary!!

Martha

GOTTOYS

I bet that will never happen on a forum for ANY other brand! Sometimes I wonder if the Managers take turns watching this forum LOL..Don

porthole

Retired

I recently took delivery of a 2014 Big Horn 3685RL and I have obtained matching soap dispensers for the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I need to drill a 7/8" hole through the countertop to install.

Just wanted to check to be certain what the material is before attempting to drill... and if a standard hole saw (or forstner bit) is all I need for the job.

Thank you

I added dispensers to the galley and head. When you look at the bathroom sink picture you will see that the dispenser is mounted through the sink, that is because there was no room underneath for the bottle.

I used a spade bit. Pilot is important whether using a spade bit or hole saw.
Using either, if you reverse the the bit for a few rotations first you score the surface and minimize chipping the edges.
But, if you use the right size bit, the hole will be covered anyway.
See the second link below for my flashlight trick.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=258523&viewfull=1#post258523

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=262726&viewfull=1#post262726

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I think the Solid Surface is HANEX, not Himacs (at least that is what ours is).

yport

Thanks porthole for the info / tips and pics ... looks nice. Planned on using either my spade or forstner bit.

Gus ... not sure of material ... I just copied and pasted what the GM sent me ... so its one of those :)

emm4273610re

Hi yport ~ How did you make out with the install? Any pictures? Really interested is seeing. thanks

yport

Install was a breeze emm ... came out awesome in the bathroom. Haven't done the kitchen counter yet as I am still looking for the right matching dispenser. A little different color than the bathroom which was called Oiled Rubbed Bronze. Really easy emm ... I will add a pic when I next get to the rig to take one.