Black Tank Almost Full & Valve will not open!

TandC

Been camping for four days & went to dump the black tank. The dump handle pulled out but no black water came out.
Tried flushing and back flushing - no luck!
Opened up the under belly and located the valve for the black tank. Cannot get the valve to move even when I use
pliers on the valve stem to try and manually open/close the valve!
Any suggestions?

jimtoo

Hi TandC,

I cant imagine what could hold the valve closed if it has been working before. Did the cable pull loose from the valve stem itself? If so,, can you put some vice grips on the stem and maybe tap it a little to help get it open. Another thing if it has been stiff or hard to pull all along,, you might try loosening the 4 nuts that hold the valve together. NOT MUCH, just a turn or so, but a little to relieve the clamp pressure on the valve blade.

Let us know what you end up doing.

I also moved thread to better area.

Jim M

TandC

Jim,
The cable is still attached to the stem. It has been stiff and hard to pull the last few months. I will try loosening the four nuts in the morning.
Terrell

TandC

Jim,
I've been without wifi since my post six days ago.
To make a long story short:
The valve was stuck in the open - yes, open - position. However, the pipe/valve was clogged up.
After spending $115 ($75 Service Call + $40 for 1/2 hour labor) the valve is working and the clog is gone.
A device was inserted into the black tank. The device expanded like a balloon to form a seal in the tank exit and
high water pressure was used to "blow out" the clog. Thanks for your time.
Terrell

jimtoo

I am wondering,,, did you or they actually see what came out of the tank to cause it to be blocked completely. Did they have a clear adapter on so you could see the stuff?

wdk450

Jim,
I've been without wifi since my post six days ago.
To make a long story short:
The valve was stuck in the open - yes, open - position. However, the pipe/valve was clogged up.
After spending $115 ($75 Service Call + $40 for 1/2 hour labor) the valve is working and the clog is gone.
A device was inserted into the black tank. The device expanded like a balloon to form a seal in the tank exit and
high water pressure was used to "blow out" the clog. Thanks for your time.
Terrell

Terrell:
I have used these at my home to clear clogged pipes. It is the best thing short of a "RotoRooter long electric snake tool. The home size can be had for about $10 and shoots out pulsing water pressure after it has inflated to seal the pipe upstream of the device. I hadn't thought of using this in my RV. I guess it would pressurize the whole tank if you just put it into the toilet outflow pipe unless you could maneuver it to the tank outflow pipe with some certainty. Here is a link:
http://www.acmehowto.com/plumbing/clogs/how-to-use-blow-bag.php