Black Tank Question

BigGuy82

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the CAMCO Tornado for power rinsing the black tank? I looked at one of these and it seems kind of like plastic junk. If I'm going to drill a hole in my black water tank, I'd much rather have something more substantial - like brass. Anyone got a lead on something like this?

I've got a backflush valve but I'm looking for something to rinse the walls of the tank and sticking a "wand" down the head hasn't really worked for me in the past.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Look in your UDC. There should be a connection for the factory installed tank flusher.

BigGuy82

Probably a dumb question, but what the ****. Is the factory tank flusher effective? We are waitig for our new truck and so haven't had our BigHorn on the road yet, hence no need to drain or flush the BW tank yet. However, from previous RV experience, I know that effective tank flushing can save a lot of headaches (and olfactory offense).

danemayer

Probably a dumb question, but what the ****. Is the factory tank flusher effective? We are waitig for our new truck and so haven't had our BigHorn on the road yet, hence no need to drain or flush the BW tank yet. However, from previous RV experience, I know that effective tank flushing can save a lot of headaches (and olfactory offense).
Hi BigGuy82,

Check out our owner-written Water Systems Guide. There's a bunch of info about dumping and flushing the tanks starting on page 17. The flush does a good job, but there are best practices that might be helpful to you.

BigGuy82

danemayer,

To say this was hugely helpful would be an understatement! I didn't even know these user guides existed but since you got me started, I also found all of the other ones listed in tools. Great tip! Thanks!

mlpeloquin

Don't know what tank treatment you use, but Happy Camper breaks down all paper that is septic tank safe quickly. It also lubericates the valve seals as well. Put it in the gray water tanks and it eliminates all odor. If you ever had to change a gray water seal or valve, you would be surprised just how strong a smell comes form the gray water.

GOTTOYS

My factory installed flusher works just fine. I use it each time I dump and have a clear fitting at the start of my sewer hose so I can see when the water starts to come out clear. I have never used any chemicals or special toilet paper. It's a holding tank not a septic tank. Nothing stays in there long enough to need to break down, just dump it out. Use lots of water when you flush, after you dump the tank put in several gallons to start out. Been doing it this way for a lot of years without a problem...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My factory installed flusher works just fine. I use it each time I dump and have a clear fitting at the start of my sewer hose so I can see when the water starts to come out clear. I have never used any chemicals or special toilet paper. It's a holding tank not a septic tank. Nothing stays in there long enough to need to break down, just dump it out. Use lots of water when you flush, after you dump the tank put in several gallons to start out. Been doing it this way for a lot of years without a problem...Don

Problem is that many, if not most, campgrounds are using septic tanks . . . not city sewer systems.

So we need to be careful what we are putting in their septic systems . . .

We lived on a lake in Michigan before we moved to Colorado and there was no sewer system, and you do have to be careful what you put in a septic tank!

And it ain't pretty when you have a septic tank problem . . .