Blue Ridge Parkway

MTPockets

Yes, we've been on it all from North to South but don't believe the posted tunnel heights! ..... We drove thru tunnels (truck only) with posted heights from 13 1/2 to 14 ft, but those were center heights. The tunnels are narrow and round tops, so side clearance is lower. No way I would travel on the parkway with 5th wheel.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I agree with MTPockets. No way would I try to take my fiver on the parkway. Tunnels are just too narrow and too "rounded" at the top. I just rode the parkway this weekend, but on my Gold Wing, not in a truck and trailer. ONLY way to see the parkway is on two wheels (or 3 if you have a trike):):)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Growing up in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, we have traveled the BRP many times but did tent camping along the way. Because of years of the parkway being paved adding a couple of inches each time, I wouldn't trust the tunnel high marking. Be safe and travel the parallel truck routes and do day trips.

porthole

Retired
Most of the problematic tunnels on the BRP are on the last 50-60 miles.
Prior to that most of them are a good height, even on the "low" sides.

But, tunnels are not the issue. Traffic that you encounter while meandering around in a motor home or camper. You will come upon many impatient bikes and cars. There are thousands that travel that road every week trying to get from one end to the other as quick as possible. Campers, especially those that will not pull over take the brunt of the riders.

I have been on the BRP many times, once with a trailer. Personally, I would not pull a 5th wheel on it. The road does not offer itself as a route to "get somewhere". For the most part it parallels major roads.

It is 470 miles long and takes two days to travel it, with good weather. There are sections that at times drop to zero visibility since the clouds drop so low.

But on a clear day it is a very pretty ride.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD