Bringing bikes on a Landmark

Seren

Does anyone cycle? I ride about 4,000 miles a year and look forward to riding in the hils and mountains as compared to what we have in Florida. When we start full-timing in about 5 months we will be bringing two bikes, what is the best way to bring the bikes? I would assume some sort of a bike hitch.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Seren,

My DW and I got a two inch receiver installed on the back of our BH 3585rl and use a Thule T2 hitch to haul our bikes around. We cover them with bike covers to protect them from the road grime and elements when traveling through inclement weather. Hope this helps. Safe travels and riding!

Rod Ditrich

VKTalley

We also carry our bikes on the back of our Big Country. Check our blog for the exact system we use that carries two bikes. Here is the link...Click. Hope this helps!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At one time, I think Landmark's had a spot on the rear frame where a bike rack system could be bolted or welded on. Lacking that, some have had them welded onto the standard frame set-up, even though the official language of the frame warranty threatens deportation to a third world country for doing so. Least desired is to hang them off the rear ladder. And some folks remove the seats and tires and put them in the front compartment (unless there's a generator in there).

I have, on occasion, spread a clean tarp on the bed, removed the front wheels, and laid our bikes on the bed. Works. But since we stay in one place for the season (summer), I normally bring them up on the bumper of the truck after we've put the trailer on site and bring them home before pulling the rig back for winter storage.

Birchwood

We remove the front wheels and seat on our bikes and transport them in the basement.We don't carry anything on the rear of our Landmark.

caissiel

I made a 2 " hitch bike rack in 98 and we have been using it on the truck, car and trailer ever since.
We always bring our bikes everywhere.
The hitch on the trailer uses the stabilizer frame on the front while the 2" tube is attached to the bumper. Works on both trailers we owned.
Without a bumper a proper sized beam needs to be used.
At one time we even had a tandem bike hung there with our 2 bikes.
They never move there, and easy to hitch.
Pics are in my library.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You might look into this type of way to carry your bikes. I like it and a number of others have the same mounting.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14284-New-Bike-Rack-for-Bighorn

I have a swagman bike rack now that I like much better..
Bike Rack Swagman 2 bike rack.jpg

BC

Seren

Salamat po (thank you in Filipino) I am sure one of these will take care of my bikes. I do not want to be deported to a third world county unless it is the Philippines (my wife is a Filipina), and I can bring my Landmark (and bikes) :)

wdk450

Two ideas here: 1. I have a bike rack for 2 bikes that hangs on the rear ladder (a little bit of the wheel may protrude beyond the side). I secure everything with a locking cable and a few bungee cords. 2. In my Bighorn ( and I suspect in your Landmark) with the slides in there is a still medium vacant area just inside of the door entrance between the dining room slide, kitchen counters and refrigerator. I hauled a full sized Airdyne exercise bicycle there for my sister on the first leg of this trip. You would lock the bikes outside once you set up at your destination.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Here is a forum link solution option for our first Big Country with molded back cap (no "bumper).

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26193-Bike-Hitch-Option-with-pictures!!/page4

I am planning on doing the same to the new BC as soon as the "statue of limitation" and "deportation" penalty (1 year warranty) expires!:rolleyes:

Seren

Here is a forum link solution option for our first Big Country with molded back cap (no "bumper).

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26193-Bike-Hitch-Option-with-pictures!!/page4

I am planning on doing the same to the new BC as soon as the "statue of limitation" and "deportation" penalty (1 year warranty) expires!:rolleyes:

Thats the problem with a Landmark, a 2 year warranty. I think after I buy it I will just have it sit at a storage area for 2 years before using it. ;-)

Not!

jbeletti

Seren,

Many people have had qualified welders design and fabricate beefy single, dual and triple receiver hitches for their Heartland 5th wheels in order to carry bikes or small platforms. I've never heard of any of these causing issues to the RV. Our frames are not designed to tow trailers, motorcycles, cars etc.

Since Heartland cannot control what retail purchasers will do with their hitches, we don't go too far in what we provide. As such, you'll find a 1-1/4" receiver on the back of your Landmark. Personally, speaking from my own experience only, I don't like putting bikes racks on 1-1/4" receivers. I just see too much bounce and I have actually had bikes bounce off the racks. There are ways to tie the bikes in better than maybe I've done. And I know many, many carry bikes on the receivers we provide and have no issue. I just like sturdier myself :)

If you plan to haul bikes, I wouldn't worry much about affecting your warranty.

MTPockets

Seren,

Many people have had qualified welders design and fabricate beefy single, dual and triple receiver hitches for their Heartland 5th wheels in order to carry bikes or small platforms. I've never heard of any of these causing issues to the RV. Our frames are not designed to tow trailers, motorcycles, cars etc.

Since Heartland cannot control what retail purchasers will do with their hitches, we don't go too far in what we provide. As such, you'll find a 1-1/4" receiver on the back of your Landmark. Personally, speaking from my own experience only, I don't like putting bikes racks on 1-1/4" receivers. I just see too much bounce and I have actually had bikes bounce off the racks. There are ways to tie the bikes in better than maybe I've done. And I know many, many carry bikes on the receivers we provide and have no issue. I just like sturdier myself :)

If you plan to haul bikes, I wouldn't worry much about affecting your warranty.
We "had" the 1 -1/4" receiver and a very good bike rack. Somewhere in Arizona we pulled over for lunch and discovered all that bouncing and flexing had broken an upright support off the bike rack and the bikes were very close to falling onto the pavement. I took the bikes apart and got them into the bed of the truck. While in Colorado this past summer I had a 2" frame and receiver welded which cured the flex of the smaller receiver.

dave10a

My Landmark had the factory installed hitch which is flimsy and questionable for safety reasons. I took my trailer to a welder who beefed up the hitch to be safe and secure. Also, it should be noted that many bicycle carrier manufacturers do not recommend their carriers be used on trailers and are only designed to be used on trucks, cars, motor homes and etc. I asked those manufacturers why they don't allow their products to be used on trailers and they replied that side to side movement "tail wag" creates a low frequency motion that will crystallize the metal over time causing metal fatigue. I over come that objection with safety straps on the bike rack. I think my set up is now safe, solid and secure.
I am surprised that Heartland has not addressed this issue while they continue to offer the same flimsy and un-safe hitch.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't know why they don't put a 2" receiver on the Landmark. Many other manufacturers do with excellent results. Are you listening Jim?