Calculating batteries

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I’m looking at upgrading my battery setup and I want to make sure I’m calculating right

The cells are 3.2V and 100AH ea and I’m looking at 16 cells

If I run 2 sets of 8 in series and parallel them together I know I’ll end up with 24V total but what will my AH be? Will it all be additive to 1600AH?

I know if I series all 16 I could be at 48V but the inverter I’m looking at is 24V input. I guess I could try to find a 48V one but I really like this 24V one as it’s got a 60A solar charge controller built in

Oregon_Camper

What are you going to do with a 24v or 48v of DC power?

Here is a chart I keep from Trojan Batteries, helps with Amp Hours and how different wiring layouts impact your amp hours.

Capture.jpg

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Yea I had a senior moment there. So with 3V cells I would need a series of 4 to get me a 12V battery pack and still be 100AH. I have to go back to the drawing board.
The 24 or 48V is just the input voltage for the inverter is why I was looking at that output. It is just getting the AH I want to run it for an extended period of 24 hours.
I’m going to ask the park how much KWh I use for a month and get my average so I can see how much I use daily on average.
Its a little harder as I switched coaches and now this one seems to use quite a bit more electricity than my old coach.

Oregon_Camper

Yea I had a senior moment there. So with 3V cells I would need a series of 4 to get me a 12V battery pack and still be 100AH. I have to go back to the drawing board.
The 24 or 48V is just the input voltage for the inverter is why I was looking at that output. It is just getting the AH I want to run it for an extended period of 24 hours.
I’m going to ask the park how much KWh I use for a month and get my average so I can see how much I use daily on average.
Its a little harder as I switched coaches and now this one seems to use quite a bit more electricity than my old coach.

You might be better off monitoring the usage yourself. That way you can see immediately what is pulling power. The device below can do this for you. Wire this inside the RV at the distribution panel.

Link to Amazon

31GFXgYX2BL.jpg

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Going to look into the meter. Thanks

Also, as much as I want the cool kid batteries I’m not sure about heading that direction yet. I would be in about $1800 for 12V 360AH. Would be only 100lbs though and 4000 charge cycles with no discharge limit.

SNOKING

Batteries in series increase volts while amps remain the same. Batteries in parallel increase amps while voltage remains the same.

Eight cells
3 + 3 + 3 +3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 24 Volts at 100AH

Sixteen cells
3 + 3 + 3 +3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 24 Volts at\
3 + 3 + 3 +3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 24 Volts at/ 200AH

Twenty four cells
3 + 3 + 3 +3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 24 Volts at\
3 + 3 + 3 +3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 24 Volts at |
3 + 3 + 3 +3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 24 Volts at/ 300AH

While building multi battery banks it is best to keep inter cell jumper at the same length and not pull hot and ground off an end or middle. Rather have the ground in one corner and the hot lead diagonally in the other corner.

Send me a PM with an email address if you want a copy of this spread sheet to to play with.