Camper not stable

Huston

Hi everyone

Could anyone tell me the best thing to stabalize my camper. I used to own a travel trailer and it was pretty solid my new fifth wheel seems to move around a lot when people are inside. Do those tripod stands help???? Thank anyone Adam

ncc1701e

Well, everything helps a little. I use my tripod most of the time, but I think the best thing was whne I bought "X" wheel chocks from Camping World. Before the "X" chocks we just used the plastic wedges and I did notice a significant difference after the change. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/x-chock-tire-locking-chock/43891 Like others, I've got JT Stablizers on all four corners of the trailer. Everything adds up to a more stable unit. The thought of adding scissor jacks in front of the wheels is a good idea of something to investigate.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Hi everyone

Could anyone tell me the best thing to stabalize my camper. I used to own a travel trailer and it was pretty solid my new fifth wheel seems to move around a lot when people are inside. Do those tripod stands help???? Thank anyone Adam

Without going to level-up the best things I did was to put on JT stabilizers and the next thing is Roto-Choks. I did it backwards and put on the stabilizers last. And the other thing that helps is a jack in front of the wheels.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another vote for JT's Strongarms.
Takes about 75% of the shake out.

I also have put scissor jacks midship in front of the wheels, as others on this forum have done.
This also helps with the bounce.

I also chock all 4 tires.
I have an X-Chock that I use from time to time, however I haven't notice any radical improvement with it. They may work better on a lighter rig.

Trace

Birchwood

I use the tripod most of the time and I think it provides some stablity but wouldn't waste $180 again.The most beneficial
thing I have found was to pound the $4 chocks in front and behind the wheels with a rubber hammer.When I set longterm
I also use a block and sissor jack behind each set of wheels.The trailer is very stable but requires adjustment over time
as the rear jacks seem to back off even though we are sitting on a 6 inch concrete pad.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Never had good luck with the kingpin tripod and just gave it away. On the last 2 Big Country's we added the JT's Strongarm which made a huge difference.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Our vote would be JT's Strongarms !! Installed them on our Sundance and have been very pleased !! Money well spent.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Unless you want to go to a leveling system the JT Strongarms or a similar system is the best bet. We use JT S and was very happy with it until we had the Bigfoot Auto Leveling system installed.

BC

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I just installed JT strongarms on my Bighorn. What is the trick to not losing the Tee bolts when you travel?

jnbhobe

I just installed JT strongarms on my Bighorn. What is the trick to not losing the Tee bolts when you travel?

I drilled the t-bolt handles and used a key ring and a piece of fishing leader with a clip on it looped around the leg.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The trick to not losing the T-bolts is to drill a small hole in the handle and put a key ring in it. Then use a metal fishing leader and snap it to the ring after passing the other end around the stabilizer to hold it.

.View attachment 18318

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We have always take care to be sure the T bolts are tightened before traveling. We have not had a problem with them loosening up.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Thank you Jon, John, and Jim for the advice. Now I know what to do. No Worries.

ncc1701e

The trick to not losing the T-bolts is to drill a small hole in the handle and put a key ring in it. Then use a metal fishing leader and snap it to the ring after passing the other end around the stabilizer to hold it.

.View attachment 18318

Very neat idea, I've always been concerned about loosing the "T". Will have to drill mine before leaving for South Carolina next month. Thanks.