Campfires

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And don't use your campfire as a garbage disposal. Tossing your plastic trash into it, especially when the wind takes it towards other campers, may result in hostilities. On the job, I wear a SCBA to protect me from the carcinogens that crap generates. I shouldn't have to wear one sitting in my campsite.

sengli

The one thing that is mandatory when we camp, is a nice fire in the evening. I agree with johndar... the please dont use the fire pit as a trash can, I am amazed at what some people put in there, thinking it will magically "go away". We have been to some campgrounds on a weekend ( what a mistake!) and the amount of smoke was so bad we closed the windows and went in early to avoid the smog, but we asked for it. I didnt go out and yell at my neighbors, cause its their right to enjoy as they see fit.

As it is here in our locality the wood Nazi's only allow us to bring campfire wood that is de-barked from local area's. I cut down only the dead ash trees on our property for fire use. Stop the madness. Its only a campfire.

Last edited:

Lynn1130

The "wood Nazi's" failed to catch the Asian Long Horned beetle that is now a major pest in our Ponderosa forest. Sometimes there are reasons for rules.

Sniper

The "wood Nazi's" failed to catch the Asian Long Horned beetle that is now a major pest in our Ponderosa forest. Sometimes there are reasons for rules.
I don't mind at all purchasing "local" wood for campfires specifically for those reason's. It's all part of common courtesy, and good stewardship that everyone should follow, and honestly I could never carry enough wood for campfires around with me for a 2 week trip, unless I left the 5th Wheel home anyway. LOL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We've had the Pine Beetle invasion out here in Colorado . . .

Bones

I don't mind at all purchasing "local" wood for campfires specifically for those reason's. It's all part of common courtesy, and good stewardship that everyone should follow, and honestly I could never carry enough wood for campfires around with me for a 2 week trip, unless I left the 5th Wheel home anyway. LOL

I don't mind buying the wood. I mind that I pay good money for it and it is all wet. More than once this has happened.

Sniper

I don't mind buying the wood. I mind that I pay good money for it and it is all wet. More than once this has happened.
I feel your pain. We've run into that from time to time as well. Guess that will always just be part of itl. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a blue spruce in our front yard that is our major source for fire wood (you can see it in my sig photo).

Matter of fact, it is time to go out and trim the lower branches again!

Lynn1130

We have bark beetles AKA pine beetles but they are native. The years of dry conditions have made their numbers and the damage they do worse but the Asian Longhorn is an import from outside wood.

Kbvols

I have plenty of ash wood thanks to ash bores at last count over 50 dead on my property. Several were huge beautiful trees. The only benefit is ash burns great, requires little seasoning and fairly low smoke. If your in NW Ohio I have plenty to share!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sniper

I have plenty of ash wood thanks to ash bores at last count over 50 dead on my property. Several were huge beautiful trees. The only benefit is ash burns great, requires little seasoning and fairly low smoke. If your in NW Ohio I have plenty to share!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We may just have to come up to Grand Lake St. Mary's for a long weekend one of these days, and get us a bundle or two. :)

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We may just have to come up to Grand Lake St. Mary's for a long weekend one of these days, and get us a bundle or two. :)

We were just there, this past Sunday, for a night on our way back home. Really nice CG that was virtually empty. Heck of a thunderstorm during the wee hours of the morning. Strong wind some small hail lots of thunder and lightning and rain . Really rocked the land yacht.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

Let me know our property is only about 10 miles from there off 127 so we'll fix you up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I buy firewood from the CG owner and his price is reasonable. It comes from the trees he trims on the property. On occasion, I have brought clean scrap lumber from my woodworking projects at home (oak, pine, cedar and other species). Like short 2x4 cut offs and pieces too small to be used for anything.