Ceiling Modification

farside291

Added these frames around the Fantastic Fan and ceiling fan. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20160214_123235_resized.jpg
    20160214_123235_resized.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 415
  • 20160214_123245_resized.jpg
    20160214_123245_resized.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 382

Garypowell

They do look nice...how did you get them stained to match? Heartland give you the formula or did you take a cabinet door to the store?

MCTalley

They do look nice...how did you get them stained to match? Heartland give you the formula or did you take a cabinet door to the store?

We found our matching stain by taking a piece of cabinetry that we removed for a modification and took it to Lowe's or Home Depot (either one) and found the closest matching stain and bought a small can. You could just take in a door for the same effect.

farside291

We took the piece of wood that came off the floor below the laundry room door and took that to Home Depot and held it up against the color chart and matched in to English Chestnut. I thought that it would be Dark Walnut but as it turns out English Chestnut was a better match. I attempted to attach without drilling holes in the wood by using some industrial strength Velcro but that was a bust. I was afraid the trim would fall and damage the floor or worse fall and hit the fan while running. That wood sure make a racket. I used two small wood screws close to the same color as the stained wood and counter sunk them into the wood.

VKTalley

If I am reading the OP's 2nd post. They are picture frames.

You are correct. Farside said they are 17"x17" wood frames from Hobby Lobby. I have not been to Hobby Lobby yet, but am going to go look at those frames and do the same in our rig. :D

farside291

Originally I was going to fill the hole in the frame with something like this from Home Depot, its 12 X 24 and would sit inside the frame perfectly, but then thought about what a pain it would be to keep it clean. So we decided to just leave it open. With the frame it sure makes the inside of the fantastic fan white. Almost glowing!

Attachments

• f3002137-bc43-42c9-903b-03da6db0c869_1000.jpg
    f3002137-bc43-42c9-903b-03da6db0c869_1000.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 90

farside291

By the way, we are still working through all of your mods to your old 3950. This weekend I am going to add the light switch to behind the rear sofa. That switch up top is ridiculous.

VKTalley

By the way, we are still working through all of your mods to your old 3950. This weekend I am going to add the light switch to behind the rear sofa. That switch up top is ridiculous.

Nice!!! Post pics, please! We tried to do that same mod on our new rig but could not. :( Not enough slack and too many wires to figure out.

farside291

I completed the modification to the light switch in the back. I was so proud of it, I turned on the switch and walla, the overhead lights turned on and walla back off again no more reaching up. We got ready to sit down to watch TV Friday night, I turned off the over head lights turned on both wall sconces. Got ready to go to bed and hit the new switch to turn off the wall sconces and only the one above the new switch turned off. I guess the one on the other side is on its own 12 volt circuit. Oh well, close. I am still happy with the modification.

Next up, bathroom light switch. Hate the location under the cabinet. I already copied the notes on how to do it from your modification.

MCTalley

Got ready to go to bed and hit the new switch to turn off the wall sconces and only the one above the new switch turned off. I guess the one on the other side is on its own 12 volt circuit.

I forgot, but yes, the wall sconce on the off-door side was on a separate circuit on ours, as well. We rarely used the sconces, but discovered it one evening quite by accident.