Connecting 2200 watt generator to the 30 amp trailer input

carl.swoyer

You could build a 'Y' with 2 15/20 amp plugs on one side and a 30 amp receptacle on the other. But if someone unplugged one of the plugs from the generator while it was running, the unplugged plug would be hot because the other plug would be powering it through the 'Y', posing risk of electrocution.

Even so, I'm not sure if the generator would manage the power demands in a predictable way. A Y would assume that when your RV is trying to use 2000 watts, that 1000 watts would be pulled from each receptacle on the generator. I don't know if that's a reasonable assumption. In other words, you might just end up tripping the breaker on one of the outlets.

An alternative would be to use a 50-->15amp adapter to connect the trailer to one outlet. Run an extension cord from the other outlet to the outlet behind the Dometic refrigerator.

Dan, any idea where I might source a Y pigtale with three 15 amp male plugs (i.e. two in, one out)? Or two 15 amp in, and a 30 amp output? Two plugs into the two receptacles on the generator and then to the "Y", and the other goes from the "Y" to the female plug on the trailer 30 amp connection. Or do I just make one myself?

Or is the GFCI going to trip if I do this as Carl says?

Thanks.
Frank

carl.swoyer

Dan, any idea where I might source a Y pigtale with three 15 amp male plugs (i.e. two in, one out)? Or two 15 amp in, and a 30 amp output? Two plugs into the two receptacles on the generator and then to the "Y", and the other goes from the "Y" to the female plug on the trailer 30 amp connection. Or do I just make one myself?

Or is the GFCI going to trip if I do this as Carl says?

Thanks.
Frank
I've bench tested it and as well on the RV. The claim of a disconnected pigtail being hot ?
On both of my test the disconnected pigtail was Not Hot. The RV did not back feed to the pigtail
So it's not a widow maker.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Frank

I've bench tested it and as well on the RV. The claim of a disconnected pigtail being hot ?

On both of my test the disconnected pigtail was Not Hot. The RV did not back feed to the pigtail

danemayer

Frank

Carl,

Good to know yours is safe. But maybe we shouldn't assume that every 'y' is constructed the same as yours.

rwdennis

one more upgrade would be to add a item called easystart to your ac unit , you can then run your ac off of your 2200 generator .