Coupler Lock?

Bri

Our 2011 North Country 22RBQ has a unique coupler. I have two "universal" coupler locks and neither fits. Anybody out there know of a lock that will fit?
Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Bri,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Can you give us a little more information as to why the locks will not work, or maybe even a picture of your coupler? Maybe someone else has one and can give you some help.

Enjoy the forum and your new North Country.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have the coupler lock that has a ball that fits into the tongue, it's probably the wrong size ball. I have one that I used for our small boat trailers (back when) and the pop-up. The ball was too small for our travel trailer.

Bri

Thanks Jim and John,

The coupler has of a kind of a wide rim around the outer edge making it considerably wider than the common coupler most trailers have. I have the yellow bodied Reese "universal" lock that has an inverted "U" shaped bar that is supposed to fit down around the top of the coupler and into the lock body. The ball size almost does not matter as the bar holds the lock in place even if the ball is too small. I've been searching on line but I don't see anything that looks like it will fit over that wide coupler. I'll have to take some photos tomorrow and post them.
I wonder why they decided to fool around with that tried and true coupler design, this new one has no advantages as far as I can see.
Thanks

Yellowreef

Rotate it 180 degrees ( the reese sticker facing the trailer) the u shape lock bar will not go over the center of the coupler but it will lock to the nose of it.

Bri

Thanks Yellowreef, but it doesn't work. I just tried it. The U shaped bar won't engage the base of the lock no matter how I tilt or twist it.

sears532

I had the same problem..... found a Blaylock TL33 that would fit around the wide edge and still have the security of a heavy duty lock that would fit in and around the coupler..... got from a local lock shop and was less than the universal locks found at Lowe's and Home Depot....

Bri

My coupler looks like the one in this photo. I found this photo it's not of my trailer. It looks like it has a lock on it but I haven't seen that lock anywhere either.
Is there a name for this new style:

Coupler.jpg

Last edited:

eddylives

My coupler looks like the one in this photo. I found this photo it's not of my trailer. It looks like it has a lock on it but I haven't seen that lock anywhere either.
Is there a name for this new style:

View attachment 19259

I looked for a lock similar to that and found one but it is only available in europe now with no shipping to north america.
It was like a ball that would open up in the coupler making it very hard to overcome , not like the majority of coupler locks that can be cut easily with a cordless grinder and a zip cut