Crack on outside of bedroom slide out

Dmetcalf

I just noticed a crack on the outside corner (lower right) where the bedroom double slide - slide out is. Ours is a 2019 so it’s way out of the factory warranty but … we purchased the extra warranty from the dealership when we purchased it. I guess I need to see about initiating a claim to see what they say. I wish Heartland would have engineered a more robust frame (using gussets) where needed to strengthen the corners around their slide outs to keep this from occurring..!!

wdk450

Frequent problem due to broken, unre-enforced welds in slideout chassis frame. Worth a forum search for old threads on this. Also big molded aluminum corner piece cracks.

thewanderingeight

We have cracks in the corners of our front slides on both sides. Ours is a 2021 and still under the 3-year structural warranty. I initiated a claim last December and am still working on trying to get a resolution.

david-steph2018

The factory did not want to do our rig in 2020. Heartland sent us to Affinity RV Group in Goshen.
Heartland did not have an issue covering the cost of our repair, but our rig was still under the 3-year structure warranty. Once inside the wall, we found a couple of welds had cracked and an outrigger under the slide had buckled.
Total repair time was 10 days, counting waiting on Heartland to okay the repair.

Dmetcalf

Yikes, glad to hear it’s fixed for you ..! It looks like this is an issue with just about every brand rv with a slide out ..! It seems to me that someone (?) would have figured this out by now and made changes in the integrity of the welds at these areas by now ..! This is not difficult to understand..!!!

david-steph2018

Yikes, glad to hear it’s fixed for you ..! It looks like this is an issue with just about every brand rv with a slide out ..! It seems to me that someone (?) would have figured this out by now and made changes in the integrity of the welds at these areas by now ..! This is not difficult to understand..!!!
Have you ever seen the front overhang of a 5th wheel with the lower front end exposed, while being repaired for frame flex? The one I seen at a repair shop had the front end exposed. For the aluminum frame, at the joints, only 1 side was welded out of the 4 joints. I don't remember what brand the rig was, so can't comment on the brand.

Dmetcalf

Have you ever seen the front overhang of a 5th wheel with the lower front end exposed, while being repaired for frame flex? The one I seen at a repair shop had the front end exposed. For the aluminum frame, at the joints, only 1 side was welded out of the 4 joints. I don't remember what brand the rig was, so can't comment on the brand.
I don’t doubt that at all. Just anyone working in any other field where welding is reqywould be either reprimanded or fired for such crappy work.