Creak/squeak from the B&W hitch

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We noticed a new sound today while driving. Sort of a creak/squeak sound coming from the bed of the truck. I thought perhaps it was the shocks or springs or something as they do groan a little bit when we hook the trailer up sometimes.

But then Eric saw our outdoor rug flapping in the rear view mirror and I climbed back there to hold it down until we could stop. It's definitely the hitch that's making the sound.

Is that normal? We don't have a washer/dryer or generator. The basement isn't loaded nor is the closet so I don't think it's an extra weight problem.

nscaler2

It could be that the two pivot points that the top part of the hitch rests and pivots on need lubrication. Remove the two pins that hold the top part on. Then remove the top part and lubricate the two black rubbery looking pivots with white lithium grease. Replace and repin the top part. This should make the creaking go away. When the trailer isn't connected, I check to see how easily the top part pivots and reapply as necessary.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
It could be that the two pivot points that the top part of the hitch rests and pivots on need lubrication. Remove the two pins that hold the top part on. Then remove the top part and lubricate the two black rubbery looking pivots with white lithium grease. Replace and repin the top part. This should make the creaking go away. When the trailer isn't connected, I check to see how easily the top part pivots and reapply as necessary.

Okay, thanks! Any suggestion on where to look for the grease?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Did your B&W hitch come with the Ford truck or did you have it added.

We had the B&W hitch installed. When I installed it I didn't get the receiver all the way down for the pin to go through the highest hole. When I got it all set down it moved just a little bit. But I had thought I had it installed right until I took it out again and found the receiver should have gone down further to use the second hole.

BC

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Did your B&W hitch come with the Ford truck or did you have it added.

We had the B&W hitch installed. When I installed it I didn't get the receiver all the way down for the pin to go through the highest hole. When I got it all set down it moved just a little bit. But I had thought I had it installed right until I took it out again and found the receiver should have gone down further to use the second hole.

BC

The RV dealer installed it. We towed several hundred miles before it started making a noise.

danemayer

I got a tube from Lowes. Didn't put it on yet. Want to find some instructions first.
Good idea to get the instructions from the manufacturer. If there's a problem later on with worn parts, the first thing the manufacturer will ask is about how it was maintained. Advice from experts who don't work for the manufacturer won't help with warranties if it doesn't match the manufacturer's directions.

nscaler2

This is a direct quote from B&W's installation - instruction manual.
STEP 4:
Lubricate the polyurethane bushings with
high grade lithium grease (available at your local
hardware/automotive store). Place the RV coupler
so it saddles the RV pivot arms. (The RV saddle
handles should be parallel with the RV Base in the
latched position.) Place the RV saddle lock pins
through the RV saddle, then insert the hairpins
through the holes in the end of the RV saddle lock
pins to secure RV coupler to the RV pivot arms.

Hope this helps