Dealing with Camping World - Lessons Learned

MarkHenry

I bought my Fuel 323 from CW Denton, Texas. It apparently sat on the lot for quite awhile and appeared used. I took the word of the manager that it would be leaving the lot with me in new condition. When I went to pick it up there was an issue with the leveling system because parts were cannibalized while over the 9 months since manufacture, an hour after the scheduled pick up time (and getting dark) they got it working. With reservations already made in Colorado I took possession with the assurance any problems found would be fixed. Once in Colorado we found water streaming down the inside of the main door and down the ramp door every time it rained. The water heater was plumbed incorrectly so we had no hot water for 2 weeks (was not tested before delivery). There was issues with trim coming loose and blowing in the wind as we drove, water leaked between the awning and side wall, only 1 of the 2 fuel gauges for the gas station worked, and many other items.
When I took it in for service I was told that the main door leak was my problem because the caulk above the door had gaps and I didn't perform required maintenance (after 7 weeks of ownership), after a lengthy fight they caulked the door frame. The ramp was apparently bent and Heartland denied warrantee repairs claiming accident damage. If there's damage it happened on CW's lot but they refused to fix it. The first time in for service took about 4 weeks but very little on my list besides the water heater issue was done. I made another appointment so they could complete the other repairs on my list, mainly minor repairs so I assumed with an appointment it shouldn't take long. After 2 more months without my new toy I had another camping reservation so I informed them I was coming to get my rig. Only two or three minor items were fixed, things I could have done in my driveway on a Saturday. Half the things they claimed were fixed were not and they agreed to send me some parts so I could fix it myself.
My main issue is they sold me a new unit in poor used condition. After the sale they refused to bring the toy hauler up to the condition it should have been in if new and argued why it shouldn't have been in new condition. The roof had yellowed, the black caulk on the body openings had mildew, the leaks, the damage... I'm an idiot for taking their word on an promises. I thought Fun Town was bad but Camping World made Fun Town look good. Fool me once...

d
I bought my Fuel 323 from CW Denton, Texas. It apparently sat on the lot for quite awhile and appeared used. I took the word of the manager that it would be leaving the lot with me in new condition. When I went to pick it up there was an issue with the leveling system because parts were cannibalized while over the 9 months since manufacture, an hour after the scheduled pick up time (and getting dark) they got it working. With reservations already made in Colorado I took possession with the assurance any problems found would be fixed. Once in Colorado we found water streaming down the inside of the main door and down the ramp door every time it rained. The water heater was plumbed incorrectly so we had no hot water for 2 weeks (was not tested before delivery). There was issues with trim coming loose and blowing in the wind as we drove, water leaked between the awning and side wall, only 1 of the 2 fuel gauges for the gas station worked, and many other items.
When I took it in for service I was told that the main door leak was my problem because the caulk above the door had gaps and I didn't perform required maintenance (after 7 weeks of ownership), after a lengthy fight they caulked the door frame. The ramp was apparently bent and Heartland denied warrantee repairs claiming accident damage. If there's damage it happened on CW's lot but they refused to fix it. The first time in for service took about 4 weeks but very little on my list besides the water heater issue was done. I made another appointment so they could complete the other repairs on my list, mainly minor repairs so I assumed with an appointment it shouldn't take long. After 2 more months without my new toy I had another camping reservation so I informed them I was coming to get my rig. Only two or three minor items were fixed, things I could have done in my driveway on a Saturday. Half the things they claimed were fixed were not and they agreed to send me some parts so I could fix it myself.
My main issue is they sold me a new unit in poor used condition. After the sale they refused to bring the toy hauler up to the condition it should have been in if new and argued why it shouldn't have been in new condition. The roof had yellowed, the black caulk on the body openings had mildew, the leaks, the damage... I'm an idiot for taking their word on an promises. I thought Fun Town was bad but Camping World made Fun Town look good. Fool me once.
WOW

I'm curious if anyone else cares to provide feedback on getting warranty service at Camping World? The internet is filled with testimonials about the terrible experience with CW service, mine included. I'm going on month 3 with my rig in a CW shop, which was bought new and taken out twice before having structural issues. There is no end in sight, and I was just advised more parts have to be ordered with approx another 4-6 week wait for parts, plus time for installation.

My wife and I are reasonable people, we understand parts and work take time, and we're only one camper among thousands needing service. I also realize each shop is vastly different in this industry. My biggest question - is the warranty/service frustration particularly bad with Camping World, or is this an industry-wide issue? I'm fortunate enough to be a good enough DIYer that I can fix most problems, but structural issues are beyond my skill set. I can't even imagine what it's like for folks who need to get service for every little broken item.

If anyone cares to comment on CW or just generally, I'd love to hear feedback. I'm also thinking my next purchase will not be brand new.

**Additional edit - Although Heartland's front line customer service was less than stellar, the company has honored my warranty claims and approved all materials and parts orders. There hasn't been any back and forth for approvals, so from that perspective, Heartland has stood behind the product. **

Thanks..

Talk to most campers and they will tell you Camping World's warranty service is awful. We purchased an extended warranty on our Bighorn from CW and it was a total waste of money. Nothing but excuses on ordering parts, getting a tech to actually do the work more like claiming they did the work, holding our camper hostage for months and service advisors and managers unwilling to help all with a smile on their face giving you that bless your heart look. Stay away from CW is all the advice I can give you.