Delamination - Is this the beginning of the end, or salvageable?

Shellye

Freaking out over delamination by my window... Someone please tell me my investment is not lost... It's my home and I still have years to pay off...242999793_10158622984907896_1832796409696122678_n.jpg 243227875_10158622984832896_428707739377269093_n.jpg

RoadJunkie

It's not the end. The first priority is to fix the leak around the window frame to avoid further penetration of water in that area. Seek out, research, a reliable RV collision repair facility to perform the repairs. They will likely sand down that area and determine if the delam at the wood backing, or if the glue held and it pulled away with the backing wood attached. Either way, they would patch to match. Fortunately you have a decal that covers the area.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It looks relatively small and may be in the early stages. They may only need to remove the window, find and seal the leak, and repair the area of delamination. Unless the substrate is severely warped, it might not be a major repair. Key is to find and stop future water intrusion.
Have you been inspecting your window caulking and recaulking periodically? That’s another chore not contained in most owners manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks relatively small and may be in the early stages. They may only need to remove the window, find and seal the leak, and repair the area of delamination. Unless the substrate is severely warped, it might not be a major repair. Key is to find and stop future water intrusion.
Have you been inspecting your window caulking and recaulking periodically? That’s another chore not contained in most owners manuals.

No it’s not your fault. It’s a factory defect. Mine is a 2017 Heattland and I have both sides delaminating. The factory said I had a leak. I didn’t. I took it to a RV repair and they said they have had many Heartland returns that had nothing to do with water leaks. It’s due to a factory defect in their laminating process. I turned mine in and they said it was past the one year warrantee. That just shouldn’t be the case for a factory defect. They will not call me back. Not what I wanted to hear.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No it’s not your fault. It’s a factory defect. Mine is a 2017 Heattland and I have both sides delaminating. The factory said I had a leak. I didn’t. I took it to a RV repair and they said they have had many Heartland returns that had nothing to do with water leaks. It’s due to a factory defect in their laminating process. I turned mine in and they said it was past the one year warrantee. That just shouldn’t be the case for a factory defect. They will not call me back. Not what I wanted to hear.

I didn’t say it was the owners fault, but that it’s one more item of owner maintenance they don’t tell you about as they take your money and you ogle the glossy brochure.

Having owned the same rig for 11 years and being an almost daily reader of the forums, I saw the problems others incurred and inspected my BH to try to shortstop them. In many cases, it was successful.

I encourage anyone thinking of buying a trailer to get a tour of the factory, preferably on a day your desired model is on the line. There’s a lot to be learned from seeing it go from frame to finish.

danemayer

That just shouldn’t be the case for a factory defect.
Factory defects are exactly what the warranty covers. And while delamination can be from a factory defect, it's usually from water intrusion. On a unit that's out of warranty, it doesn't matter whether caused by a defect or by water. The only reason the factory would help would be as a goodwill accommodation.

Shellye

I actually do have a leak.. I believe the leak likely was Heartland's fault and the trailer came this way (due to minor wall damage.. probably been leaking all four years and the delamination finally popped out after a really bad rain.... I am way past warranty, but will replace the window and hopefully repair the delamination.... I actually have to replace two windows because the frames themselves are bad.... how do we see if they have been recalled - I cannot find anything...

danemayer

. how do we see if they have been recalled - I cannot find anything...
Recalls are only for safety issues and are coordinated with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. Window frame problems would be unlikely to fall into that category.

thewanderingeight

Luckily, given the spot it's in, you could opt for a DIY repair. There are adhesives that essentially glue the layers back together.

Your first step would be to fix the leak, otherwise, whatever fix you apply would just be temporary.

Taking the window out is fairly easy and just requires removing all the screws around the frame on the inside of the RV, and then peeling the outside and inside pieces apart. Once the repairs are done, the window goes back in the same way it came out. Just make sure you get all the old butyl tape off and apply a new layer. A helper would be good to ensure the pieces don't fall as you are removing them.

Here is a video of delamination repair that is pretty thorough on how they accomplished it. LINK

zolman

FYI had same problem with different manufacturer only after 2 years. Thats why I went to Heartland Cyclone. They now use Azdel, which doesn't delam.

Next time only consider an RV with Azdel exterior side walls. More manufactories are using it now. Luan prices have skyrocketed and harder to get. There is no price difference now.

carl.swoyer

The window is easily removed.
Once it's out inject a quality adhesive into the void and compress it. While the window is out buy a new seal and reinstall.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Shellye

FYI had same problem with different manufacturer only after 2 years. Thats why I went to Heartland Cyclone. They now use Azdel, which doesn't delam.

Next time only consider an RV with Azdel exterior side walls. More manufactories are using it now. Luan prices have skyrocketed and harder to get. There is no price difference now.
Thank you for this important information - I am hoping my current one lasts another ten years or so, but when I buy again I will know!

Shellye

The window is easily removed.
Once it's out inject a quality adhesive into the void and compress it. While the window is out buy a new seal and reinstall.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
When I took the inside frame out it was clear the window was not installed properly when the 5th wheel was made - there is a space with no rubber, exactly where the leak was.... :(cBDA4eO6TleNDW%XlhPfFA.jpg