Demco 21k auto slider hitch noises when turning normal...?

Sarge

First experience with new auto sliding hitch and WOW it's noisy -

Almost feels like it's grinding / binding - Bad enough you can feel it through the truck.

Is this normal or did the dealer installing not lube it...?

It looks very "dry".....

Thanx, Sarge

crors7

Sounds like something is not right, my Demco autoslide is completely quiet and smooth as silk. I would call Demco and talk to them, they are very helpful.

mlpeloquin

Might be the installation. Have a couple in out local camping group that had a dealer install his slider. It would make a lot of noise and could not unhitch twice. Had to hammer it free. He went back and they told him everything was fine. Well he decided to purchase another hitch at a independent repair shop. They informed him that it was very dangerous because it was not installed properly. Nothing bolted to his frame! Just next to it and missing mounting parts.Yes the bed was slightly bent at the hitches mounting. They ordered the parts and remounted it properly. Everything work as it should and was fairly quiet. So you might want to get it looked at by someone other than the people that sold it to you.

Sarge

Danny, did you put the teflon disk on the pinbox??

The dealer installed it - And since I have zero knowledge of it - I have no idea....

- - - Updated - - -

Might be the installation. Have a couple in out local camping group that had a dealer install his slider. It would make a lot of noise and could not unhitch twice. Had to hammer it free. He went back and they told him everything was fine. Well he decided to purchase another hitch at a independent repair shop. They informed him that it was very dangerous because it was not installed properly. Nothing bolted to his frame! Just next to it and missing mounting parts.Yes the bed was slightly bent at the hitches mounting. They ordered the parts and remounted it properly. Everything work as it should and was fairly quiet. So you might want to get it looked at by someone other than the people that sold it to you.

Since my RAM has the fifth wheel prep from the factory - Its definitely tied into the frame through the four pucks....

danemayer

Demco manual has what they call Very Important Maintenance Instructions. Particularly #3 and 4.
1. Inspect all fasteners for tightness at least every 2,000 miles of operation.
2. Inspect jaw and jaw bar for freedom of movement and proper operation before each use. Replace all damaged or worn parts.
3. Keep all moving parts of hitch well lubricated.
4. It is recommended to use grease or a 3/16” maximum Teflon disc to help prevent wear on top plate surface.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Danny, the teflon disk is normally something you have to buy and install. It goes around the pin itself. If you don't have one, get the large one and force it on the pin. You need to put some grease on the pin and the jaws of the hitch. DO NOT put it on the disk or hitch plate. I use lithium grease. Go look at the pinbox at the pin...if you have the disk....you will see it. It's round and normally black.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Danny, the teflon disk is normally something you have to buy and install. It goes around the pin itself. If you don't have one, get the large one and force it on the pin. You need to put some grease on the pin and the jaws of the hitch. DO NOT put it on the disk or hitch plate. I use lithium grease. Go look at the pinbox at the pin...if you have the disk....you will see it. It's round and normally black.

I have a white disc . . .

Sarge

The rails the head slides on are scarred up pretty bad - Even though I only pulled over the weekend.

I'm sending pics to DEMCO to see if they can figure this out.

There is a large white plate under the hitch - No black or white disc in sight....

Sarge

Sarge

Maybe I should bribe you with beer - To take a look at it... :)

Sarge

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Danny, it could be white and would be pushed up on the pin and about 3/16 thick probably 10" wide or so.

JohnD has to always throw curve ball into the mix. Must have had his helmet on too tight.:p

Cane.MBA

I just had a Demco 21k Autoslide installed this afternoon. I had a Pro Series 20k which grenaded and dropped my trailer onto the bed of my truck while pulling out of our first campground. I am going to get my camper tomorrow, so I will share my experience with the Demco. So far I am very impressed, it's a heavy beast and I don't think I'll have any metal failure with this hitch.

in regards to the Teflon disk, I think this is what everyone is referring too. This disk slips over the king pin on the camper, and lubricates the hitch as it slides into place.

http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-tow...be-plate-10/?gclid=CJCgq9nY6s4CFYF8fgodG-4GHg

Sarge

Even though it seems to be a dealer install issue - Demco is completely replacing the hitch and rails with new units.

Seems the teflon plate between the head unit and the slider rails was missing completely.

It sounded as though Demco was going to lay the blame off on the dealer - But they stepped up and took care of everything.

Should have the new hitch delivered and installed within a week or so - Depending on holiday weekend delays...

Thanx for everyone who pitched in - Stay tuned.............

Sarge

Sarge

Update: DEMCO shipped a new complete set-up to the dealer and was in contact with the tech who did the swap.

Seems to be just fine now. Strange how the teflon disc is mentioned - Since the head unit locks onto the kingpin and arm - And rotates itself to drive the slider gears.

The disc would not be of any benefit and probably be in the way...

Sarge