Disc Brake pump noise

Majestic

When i connect my trailer the brake pump starts and pulses continually, you can here it in the cab. Anyone have any ideas? I haven't moved it yet to see if they work.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A question for you.
Has it always done that?
When the pump is running, it is pressurizing the system, therefore I believe that your calipers will be engaged.
If it only happens when the truck is plugged it sounds like your truck system is sending some voltage to the pump.
I have heard, but don't know the facts, that there are some incompatibilities between some truck systems and some electric/hydraulic actuators.
Hence the question about always doing that.
It might be a good idea to contact the manufacturer of the actuator and see if they might be an incompatible with your truck.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Brake lights flashing?

The pump should not operate unless it is getting a signal from the trucks "brake activation" circuit.

Does your truck have an "Electric over Hydraulic" setting for the trailer brake controller?

****** since Dave was responding while I was ...... Some trucks require an interface "box" for the system to work correctly. On the newer Ford's it is built in. GM may require it. The hydraulic pump manufacturer's website should list the compatibility issue.

Majestic

We have been talking to the dealer and Dexter.

general feedback is the blue wire in the truck plug should not be hot, nor should there be a pulsing voltage.

the truck blue wire has 3.2-4v. We have to take the truck to GM in the am to get the internal brake controller checked out as the blue wire pulsing voltage is driving the hydraulic brake pump.

Majestic

Here is the current information that we have gathered.

Quote from Dexter service, "I can tell you that the Dexter brake actuator is NOT compatible with the factory controller installed by Chevy/GM or Dodge. The Ford built in controller was compatible for quite a while but in 2013 / 2014 they also started having issues."

The GM controller, and now all built in controllers, have a relay that will take the old fix of the magnet for awhile and will then start to release voltage to the blue wire in the wiring. That is what happened to mine. GM says they controller is for electric only brakes.

Dexter also says you must replace with a P3 controller to be compatable with the built in system.

danemayer

I wonder why they can't/don't design the system to be compatible with the built-in controllers for the big 3 truck makers.

Majestic

Exactly, i inquired about this prior to picking up the unit and was assured it wouldn't be an issue, by the time i get out of the shop here my bill will be over $400. and 24hrs of down time.

Once mobile again, i will be contacting Dexter again to discuss.

porthole

Retired
Carlisle makes a "box" to make the incompatible GM and Dodge - compatible.
Might be worth looking into.

I have not heard of the Fords having issues.

Hunter11

We have a 2015 Landmark Grand Canyon on order and I added the upgrade axles and disc brakes along with the 17.5 H rated tires. I have a 2012 Chevy 3500 and was told the disc brakes would not work with my truck unless they added a Carlisle HBM CAM Control Module to the trailer, at our cost of course. I was told this by Heartland, Dexter and our selling dealer. As I told our dealer, I think if Heartland is going to offer disc brakes as an option they should add something like this as standard so it works with all newer trucks and the customer is not out more money after ordering the disc brake option just to make it work with their truck.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-HBA-CAM.html

Majestic

What i have been told by GM, the GM dealer service manager is that the integrated controller has a relay that will work until someday the amp draw will be enough to fry the relay and will do what mine did, put 4v to the brakes and they applied. Not a good option in highway speed.

I am just sharing the info I have experienced, the P3 installed now is not as good as the factory one but still works well.

porthole

Retired
We have a 2015 Landmark Grand Canyon on order and I added the upgrade axles and disc brakes along with the 17.5 H rated tires.

Is the Landmark brake option a Dexter kit?

I was told this by Heartland, Dexter and our selling dealer.

I have a 2012 Chevy 3500 and was told the disc brakes would not work with my truck unless they added a Carlisle HBM CAM Control Module to the trailer, at our cost of course.

As I told our dealer, I think if Heartland is going to offer disc brakes as an option they should add something like this as standard so it works with all newer trucks and the customer is not out more money after ordering the disc brake option just to make it work with their truck.

If 3 people told you it would not work without extras parts and work, why did they not offer you the "fix" at additional cost?

If the disc brakes are an option, and work with 2 of the 3 main pickup truck brands on the road, why should 2/3's need to pay extra for something not needed?

If you have the Dexter system, it seems Dexter needs to be called out. On the instruction sheets for the Dexter Hydraulic pump there is no mention that the system was incompatible with GM products.

As to adding the Carlisle part listed, that is a truck issue, not a trailer issue. And should be researched a bit to make sure the part is compatible with Dexter's pump.

porthole

Retired
What i have been told by GM, the GM dealer service manager is that the integrated controller has a relay that will work until someday the amp draw will be enough to fry the relay and will do what mine did, put 4v to the brakes and they applied. Not a good option in highway speed.

I am just sharing the info I have experienced, the P3 installed now is not as good as the factory one but still works well.

The whole purpose of using relays is to allow higher current capacity. It should not burn out. The brakes should not be drawing more then 10-12 amps (guessing) and most standard automotive relays start at 30 amp capacity.

Have you checked on the GM truck forums for this? Sometimes the folks on the truck forums are a bit ahead of many dealer service departments, especially when it comes to aftermarket. I found this out when it was time to reprogram my fuel mileage - tank size.

I had to supply the instructions (gleaned from Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum) using Ford dealer only equipment (Oasis), to allow the tech to reprogram my truck.

The P3 is good, but it is too bad you can't use the built in controller. The Carlisle adapter could be a viable way to keep your factory TBC

Majestic

Good point on the GM user group Duane, hadn't thought about them.

My HL dealer installs the brake magnet at the actuator in the unit. I might order the adaptor to see if it will work instead of the P3.

I would like to get to the bottom of this problem forever, (if such a thing exists), after all, its just money, right:(

Hunter11

If 3 people told you it would not work without extras parts and work, why did they not offer you the "fix" at additional cost?

They did offer me a fix, The Carlisle box is costing us $230 installed.

If the disc brakes are an option, and work with 2 of the 3 main pickup truck brands on the road, why should 2/3's need to pay extra for something not needed?

Point well taken. Although I thought I had read that the newer Dodges brake controller will also not work with the Dexter disc brake option.

If you have the Dexter system, it seems Dexter needs to be called out. On the instruction sheets for the Dexter Hydraulic pump there is no mention that the system was incompatible with GM products.

I could not agree more.

As to adding the Carlisle part listed, that is a truck issue, not a trailer issue. And should be researched a bit to make sure the part is compatible with Dexter's pump.

Heartland, Dexter, and our selling dealer all agreed this would make the disc brakes work with my truck. I hope they are correct.