Do you leave ladder on side while towing?

JohnnyR

2012 3950 Cyclone. Question is whether you leave your detachable ladder attached to side of your toyhauler while towing? I seem to remember most that I see on the road in Texas leave theirs attached as I have. Towed out to CA earlier this year with it attached and had no problems. About to go out there again in December and was wondering whether anybody had ever been ticketed for exceeding allowabled widths? Could be one of those things that occcurs when the state trooper is having a slow day. Only bring it up because my mobile RV repair guy mentioned it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If you leave it on you risk getting a ticket for too wide of a load. Without the ladder the Cyclones and RW wide body construction I believe is the widest you can legally pull without a wide load permit and markings.

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alex00

If you leave it on you risk getting a ticket for too wide of a load. Without the ladder the Cyclones and RW wide body construction I believe is the widest you can legally pull without a wide load permit and markings.

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In California, at least, you are allowed 108 inches sidewall to sidewall for rvs. Our vehicle code specifically exempts appurtenances that don't extend more than 6 inches (VC 35103). Ladders awnings vents and what not. As long as they don't carry "load". I don't know about other states but I'd bet many have similar laws. Towing with the ladder attached is perfectly legal here.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

rgwilliams69

Not sure about the wide load issue, but we do not have ours attached and I actually never use it (stored in the garage). Because of the height and seemingly light quality of the ladder I carry one of those little giant ladders in the garage instead. I'm kind of a big guy and the first trip halfway up the stock ladder convinced me not to complete the rest of the trip. :)

CrazyCooter

Been pulling with mine since day one as the road in gets my solar panels dusty and I clean after I get to my spot. No issues yet.

TXTiger

Not sure about the wide load issue, but we do not have ours attached and I actually never use it (stored in the garage). Because of the height and seemingly light quality of the ladder I carry one of those little giant ladders in the garage instead. I'm kind of a big guy and the first trip halfway up the stock ladder convinced me not to complete the rest of the trip. :)

Ditto. I too leave mine at home and have a little giant in the basement. Also if you keep it attached it may catch on the island at the gas station or a tree in the campground and cause lots of damage to you rig.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the maximum width without permit in Texas is 102 inches. Wider than that you will need a oversize load permit.

porthole

Retired
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the maximum width without permit in Texas is 102 inches. Wider than that you will need a oversize load permit.

"appurtenances" (within reason) don't add to the trailer width.

To the orignal OP's question. Most of the tiem I will leave it attahced. But, extra care is needed when going through toll booths here. The lane width is ok, it is the change baskets that can be pesky.

And for me, going through the toll booths I can't easily see from the top to the bottom of the trailer in the mirror.

County and State campgrounds - I will usually take the ladder off before going through them. They tend to be tight here. As well as some of our South Jersey campgrounds.
I almost had to take the ladder off at our recent Cape May rally.

ILH

I take mine off and store it at home. Over the last two years with the RW I've found that park entrances, border crossings and other such 'gateways' present too much risk of catching the ladder.

Besides, as with others, I'm a big guy and I really don't trust the light weight aluminum tubes. Also, my 17 year son who usually does my repair work for me is about 6'4" - he doesn't like it either.

wiredawgchief

Wow, I hadn't thought about it. I've towed mine about 15k miles with it on. I have two convex mirrors on my tow mirrors that let me see back of trailer pretty well. I may start taking it off and hauling it with me or remove it and start carrying my 16' foldup aluminum ladder.

If I keep it, I've figured out swapping out cheap plastic "L" brackets with metal ones a adding cross brace above them will greatly increase strength and stability. Good thread.

Ron

taken

We leave ours on. It's no wider than the generator exhaust tip so even without it we are over the 102". Never an issue. No one's looking to ticket you on little nonsense like this. Been all over the east coast and up to Canada without issue...

I agree with you on the ladder safety issue, mine is falling apart! The plastic hardware used to secure the rungs is cracking on most of the ladder! Yes I weigh in at 250, but I'm the clean up man, mechanic, and name it!

MTPockets

I agree with you on the ladder safety issue, mine is falling apart! The plastic hardware used to secure the rungs is cracking on most of the ladder! Yes I weigh in at 250, but I'm the clean up man, mechanic, and name it!
Do the factory guys read these?