Domestic Vinyl Awning

phix

The awning on our Bighorn is a visual mess. It has been this way since a few months after it was new. It gets mildewed easily. We would take great pains to put it up dry, but next time it was opened, water would come out and it was stained. We have tried multiple products to clean it. Nothing works that well. Now our brown awning is greenish.

i would like to replace the fabric. Has anyone done with this? Did you do it yourself or take it somewhere?

what about acrylic? Would it be better?

Pam

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
They can be a REAL PINCH FINGER if done wrong. I would pay a mobile repair guy that does awnings before I/me tried it.

oscar

Bathroom tile cleaner (basically some suds with chlorine) will take care of most of the staining, for now.

phix

Thanks everyone. The video on YouTube is for a manual awning, but is still helpful. Loading that spring does look like a pinch finger operation! Ours is power. I think it would be easier without the spring. Even if we can get it cleaner, it still looks bad as the brown fade is now a lovely algae green fade. This color is permanent. The camper is white with Browns and blue decals.

i contacted Dometic and now have colors and prices. They also sell the cover in white metal. I need to get some estimates from local service centers before we attempt it ourselves.

Pam

Kbvols

We have similar issue. I just don't think the electric awnings roll up as tight as the manual ones allow more moisture to enter. We used some bleach and water solution sprayed on with a tank sprayer rolled up let set for 30 minutes and it cleaned up very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
In 2013 at the national rally in Goshen about 5 guys helped Kenny replace ours . We got and after market that was suppose to be good but 3 years later it looks awful so we are going back to Dometic as soon as possible. our Dometic lasted 7 years still looked but was ripping on the sides.