Dreaming of a Big Horn

Boozecamp

Hello! New to this Forum. I'm going to lurk about and learn a little more about Big Horns, specifically the new 3010 RE.
I've been chatting in other forums about my dilemma:
may have an undersized TV (F250 diesel 6.7L Crewcab, 4x4 SRW, SWB) to handle the 2014 BH 3010 RE.
As I understand it, truck can pull the BH, but pin weight is the concern. If I do pull the trigger, I'd install airbags and upgrade tires and take-r-easy.
Going to CAT Scales tomorrow to get real weights then I'll know just where my risk is.
Based on above, am I waisting my time looking at 5th Wheels with dry pin weights around 2,115 lbs ?
thanks for experience opinions.

jimtoo

Hi Boozecamp,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You should be good with your F250. I'm sure you will get lots of help offering opinions soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

iawoody2

Hello! New to this Forum. I'm going to lurk about and learn a little more about Big Horns, specifically the new 3010 RE.
may have an undersized TV (F250 diesel 6.7L Crewcab, 4x4 SRW, SWB) to handle the 2014 BH 3010 RE.
As I understand it, truck can pull the BH, but pin weight is the concern. If I do pull the trigger, I'd install airbags and upgrade tires and take-r-easy.
Going to CAT Scales tomorrow to get real weights then I'll know just where my risk is.
Based on above, am I waisting my time looking at 5th Wheels with dry pin weights around 2,115 lbs ?
I think you would ok. I have the same truck and pull 12000lbs and 2400lbs pin weight. Pulls great.

jnbhobe

You will be just fine, the weight police would argue, but I have never seen them bother an RV. I bet 75% of all RV's are over weight at some point.

iawoody2

Thanks for the reply, do you have airbags or any other mods to TV?
I have Timbren overloads, they take the place of the factory yellow joucie bumpers and intall in about 30 minutes. They sit just above the rear axle when unloaded and just slightly depressed when loaded, takes the road bounce nicely.

iawoody2

I have Timbren overloads, they take the place of the factory yellow joucie bumpers and intall in about 30 minutes. They sit just above the rear axle when unloaded and just slightly depressed when loaded, takes the road bounce nicely.
Also the biggest improvement was had the rear spring packs removed and added a full lenght spring which then has a pack like the F350. This cost 375 parts and labor. The Timbrens were about 180 and I installed.

dewwood

I have a Sundance with slightly lighter pin weight but often haul my combo tool box fuel tank (75 gal) as well as firewood and various other camping gear. I added the air bags and it worked great, you can inflate to match the load. That was on my Chevy 2500 which I traded last year for a 3500 but it was just fine with that load. We have been pretty well over the mountain and back with no problems.
We have looked at the BH 3010 and it would not have been a problem with the 3/4 ton.

pegmikef

Be careful. The advertised weights aren't necessarily the real weights. I just took delivery of my 2014 BH3010RE and the dry weight as it came off the line is 12,014 pounds instead of the advertised 11,440 pounds so I imagine the pin weight is proportionately greater as well. And this is before the propane (100 pounds) and batteries (in my case 124 pounds because I use Trojans) and any cargo/generator is added which all will increase your pin weight. I personally didn't like the margin so I moved from an F250 to an F350 so I could also add an inbed auxilliary fuel tank. I had replaced the OEM tank with a fifty gallon tank in the F250 because it only had a 26 gallon tank. Adding these tanks also affected my payload capability.

MTPockets

My dry weight was 11,753 from the factory. Pin weight now fully loaded is 3400 lbs. don't forget weight of hitch, fuel, people, tools. I had SRW F350 and was overweight. Truck pulled fine but over is over. You can't add anything to increase those two tires capacity. It's simple physics. DRW is the right truck.

Boozecamp

Be careful. The advertised weights aren't necessarily the real weights. I just took delivery of my 2014 BH3010RE and the dry weight as it came off the line is 12,014 pounds instead of the advertised 11,440 pounds so I imagine the pin weight is proportionately greater as well. And this is before the propane (100 pounds) and batteries (in my case 124 pounds because I use Trojans) and any cargo/generator is added which all will increase your pin weight. I personally didn't like the margin so I moved from an F250 to an F350 so I could also add an inbed auxilliary fuel tank. I had replaced the OEM tank with a fifty gallon tank in the F250 because it only had a 26 gallon tank. Adding these tanks also affected my payload capability.

Curious, I currently pull a 7,500 lb. TT, and get about 12mpg on highway, keeping it at or under 65 mph. What should I expect latched on to a 13,000 lb 5'er? (Avg)

Kbvols

Curious, I currently pull a 7,500 lb. TT, and get about 12mpg on highway, keeping it at or under 65 mph. What should I expect latched on to a 13,000 lb 5'er? (Avg)

i lost about 3 mpg went from a 7,000 lb TT to close to 13,000 fifth wheel. Although I lost some fuel mileage I gained a much easier tow.

pegmikef

I am the wrong one to ask. I have only pulled it a hundred miles and got 11 mpg at 58, but from what others tell me I can expect 8 to 11 dependent on the wind and terrain. I do know that my F350 dually 4x4 only gets around 15 to 16 mpg max on the highway when not towing while my F250 SRW 4x2 got in excess of 20 mpg on the highway when not towing. I too got about 12 to 14 mpg towing my 8,000 pound TT dependent on wind and terrain.

Mrsfish

1. We LOVE our 3010re. Great choice.
2. Loaded, we also came off the line over 12.5k . We had to upgrade to a 350 as our '04 250 absolutely was overweighted. You will hear of many that still tow And have no problems at all. I say good for them. I knew that loaded, towing downhill through the places we like to go, we were taking a risk. Wasn't a matter of can we tow it - it was a whole lot of can we stop it and can it handle the weight in not perfect conditions. Your call - I have no opinion other than on what I do.
3 . We get 10-14 towing and 20 when we're not.
Good hunting and good luck.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have a Bighorn 3580RL and learned my lesson the hard way! The F250 (which I used and had every mod you could put on it) could not do the job safely. The trailer will drive the F250. I finally bought a Ford tow boss and never looked back!

Boozecamp

I have a Bighorn 3580RL and learned my lesson the hard way! The F250 (which I used and had every mod you could put on it) could not do the job safely. The trailer will drive the F250. I finally bought a Ford tow boss and never looked back!

What was the year model of your F250?