electric awning AND the wind

patrick1945

We spend 5 months each year about 400' from the Atlantic where the average wind speed is about 10 mph. We have an electric awning that must go in and out 2-4 times per day.

I am wondering if/what means I might use to better secure the awning so we might be able to leave it at higher wind speeds.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We spend winters in south Texas where it is always windy. I have seen many people with electric awnings tied down. I don't think this is a recomended way to do things, but it is done all the time. They are not made to be tied down.

Peace
Dave

patrick1945

We spend winters in south Texas where it is always windy. I have seen many people with electric awnings tied down. I don't think this is a recomended way to do things, but it is done all the time. They are not made to be tied down.

Peace
Dave

I have seen some who have made supports for the ends of the electric awnings and then used tie-downs with springs to "counter-act" the winds lift but it looked suspect to me.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen all different ways to tie them down. The method that you have described seems to be the most common. I have also seen the use of bows under the awning which really helped keep the material taut. Some even had a strap going over the awning from side to side and anchored in the ground. Problem is if it gets reeealy windy it would take a while to get the awning rolled up and out of harms way.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just wondering, could you retrofit the auto system that would automatically roll in the awning? Has this be done by anyone?

DMitch

I have the same problem in the winter in Florida. What works well for me is, I purchased a sun screen that is made for electric awnings. Once it is in the track about 6 inches of the screen stays in the track and the remainder can be un-zipped quickly. I tie it down with three bugee's on the bottom. The bungee gives it just enough tension and works fine in up to about a 15 mph wind. When I want to take it down I un-zip the sun screen and roll up the awning. It only takes about 1 minute. This works well for me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This brings up an interesting idea. The tie-down straps I have from the TT have springs that attach to the screw-in ground anchors. The straps are looped over the roller and then passed through rings to cinch it up. Mebbe it might be possible to incorporate a set of snap connectors, rather than using the rings. It could still be cinched down, but could be quickly released if needed. Finding the right strength connectors is the key.

Downside to securing the awning like this is that it's not possible to eliminate the flapping of the fabric. Unlike a manual awning, there are no side struts to secure the deflappers to. Even if there were, you'd have to get the ladder out to disconnect them if you needed to pull in the awning.

Birchwood

Awnings are a pain in the butt.We live on the coast for 12 months per year and we
put it in and out as required.When the motor wears out we will replace it.Its always
windy on the coast but thats where we want to be.As for securing something that big
good luck!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ours has a switch to turn off the auto feature (turn off wind sensor). It is a toggle switch on the side of the control box. If you turn it off I see no reason why you could not tie it down. MHO

jbeletti

Ours has a switch to turn off the auto feature (turn off wind sensor). It is a toggle switch on the side of the control box. If you turn it off I see no reason why you could not tie it down. MHO

Jim - we have not used the automatic wind sensor for many model years. So you got a special one :)

Jim